1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning - Let the games begin

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by danstefl, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Gentlemen and ladies and other things that crawl this site :)

I currently play in such fun STANDARD tuning on a 5 string.

BEADG

I was approached by a christian metal band to play bass with them. I was given a tab and the tuning of

CDCFA

Either I'm stupid or just inexperienced but that tuning makes no sense to me. I have seen CGCF but never CDCF much less an A on the top string.

Am I looking at this backwards or something? I can get tuned to CDC )which feels weird all on it's own) but the top 2 strings just don't make sense.

Also, what should I be prepared to do to my bass (besides heavy gauge strings) if I want to continue to play with them?

Thank you all for your reply.

2. Should it be ACDCF maybe? this is ticking me off.

3. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I got no idea, Bro. This tuning makes zero sense to me. I can't even think of what it might be. If they were down tuned a whole step and then dropped the D to C, that would make sense, but CDC? I just can't do it either.

You have a friend in this.

4. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Run away. That's the devil's tuning.

Somewhat seriously though, put the notes on the paper and I will play them. The choice of tuning however is mine.

5. That was one thought I had. If that is the case and the GUITAR is tuned to CDCFA (how he would do that is beyond me) then what would you tune your bass too?

Also any comment on the foreseeable changes I will have to make to my bass to stay in that tunings (strings, neck relief etc) recomendations?

6. if changing tunings, adjust saddles, intonation (move the saddles backwards or forwards) and possibly the truss rod, only adjust the truss rod if it needs to be adjusted.

7. It sounds like a really funky, dumb chord tuning.

Like the first two string would be part of a major scale, the next two are minor, and the last goes back to major. At least that's what my guitar playing roommate suggests. He says "something along the line of triads". It sounds utterly silly to me.

Edit: He just said it sounded like open interval triads.

8. It's like an open maj2add10 chord...or something :eyebrow:

Screw that. Just tune to C standard (CFBbEb) and you'll be fine. Or just play in standard BEADG, and you'll be hitting the first fret C pretty often.

Unless you WERE the bands guitarist previously and that's the tuning you're already super used to playing in, then there's no point in matching the guitar player's tuning.

9. Sounds like the guitarist needs to be the guitarist and the bassist needs to be the bassist. Then again, if they are paying you and you are their employee, and not a regular band member, then that's their perogative (no matter how crazy it may be).

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Ask for the notes because the tuning is rather awkward and tuning up strings 3 semitones will increase tension like mad on that string.

11. ***? :rollno:

12. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    You'll be fine in standard five-string tuning. If they drone alot on C you could tune your B up a half-step.

13. Does the tab they gave you look like you're playing a bunch of riffs in unison with the guitar? If so, they may just not be able to imagine you playing the same notes in a different tuning. A bass player doesn't have to use a capo on songs where a guitarist straps one on, and you don't automatically have to retune to match the guitar either. Can you learn the songs without the tab?

14. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    OK, my take.

It's dropped down 2 semitones from EADG, but with two E strings on the low notes rather then another A, and the top string tuned down another 2 semitones.

Then place the A string where the C string should be :help:

15. Bass Troll

Bass Troll

Oct 5, 2008
    I'd just play in standard, or if they use the open c alot I'd tune the B up a half step or capo the first fret.

16. I stayed in standard tuning tuned my B string up a half step. This is the tuning they were use to, whatever. They sucked and their sound was WEIRD. I think they meant CGCF when they first started, tuned incorrectly and just stayed that way. idiots. the durmmer was a diamond in the rough though. He must feel obligated to stay with them cause that chick (yeah and HOT) had SKILLS.

17. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Confused much?