Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuppence

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Don't laugh. My son has been watching "Mary Poppins" almost every day in the way that 3 years olds will do, which means that I've been subjected to portions of it non stop for the last month. In addition to my beginning to think that Julie Andrews was pretty damn cute in that movie, I've got this song stuck in my head and am thinking about plunking it into Sibelius, doing a few judicious reharms, and adding it to the tune list - it's a really well constructed melody with a solid bridge, and catchy as hell. Or am I just so smitten with my kid that I think anything he likes must be good? :D

Anyway, was wondering if anyone knows of any jazz recordings of this tune out there that might be perused by old DURRL. Thanks, and don't forget to feed the birds.

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Great tune. Love the bridge. It's a home run. I don't know why I haven't heard anyone do it. It's begging for the stick of pain too. Arco the head on the bass. Don't forget the verse. Makes the whole thing kill.

Feed the Birds I think it's called.

Julie Andrews is amazing in that film. Can't take your eyes off here when she's on the screen. That voice...

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Check this out. Good taste is good taste.

"Feed The Birds (Tuppence A Bag)"
    Mary Poppins - 1964
    Music and Lyrics by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman
    "All around the cathedral the saints and apostles
    Look down as she sells her wares
    Although you can't see it, you know they are smiling
    Each time someone shows that he cares"

Lead Vocals: Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins
    Source Album: Mary Poppins Original Soundtrack
    Alternate Tracks: Michelle Nicastro deftly blends "Feed the Birds (Tuppence a Bag)" and "Chim Chim Cher-ee" in a moving medley on Reel Imagination.

Behind the Music:
    • Walt's personal favorite.The Shermans would often visit Walt on Friday afternoons, and he always requested them to play this song on his office piano. After Walt passed away, they would still visit his office and play it for him.
    • An unreleased demo of this song can be heard on the soundtrack.

I swear I'm going to do a whole night of Disney tunes with someone. They have had some great stuff.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, Phil, I know what you mean - they did have a bunch of great stuff. That story about going by Walt's office to play it for him even after he passed is kind of eerie. And kind of cool.

I found the lyrics and the basic chord structure - and you're right, he bridge does kill:

Early each day to the steps of St. Paul's
    The little old bird woman comes
    In her own special way to the people she calls
    Come buy my bags full of crumbs

/ Am E7 Am E7 / Am E7 Am - / :

Come feed the little birds, show them you care
    And you'll be glad if you do
    The young ones are hungry, their nests are so bare
    All it takes is tuppence from you

/ G7 - C - / G7 - C E7 / Am E7 Am E7 / Am E7 Am G7 /

Feed the birds, tuppence a bag
    Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag
    Feed the birds, that's what she cries
    While overhead her birds fill the skies

/ C - F C / F C D7 G7 / C - F C / F C G7 CE7 /

All around the cathedral the saints and apostles
    Look down as she sells her wares
    Although you can't see it you know they are smiling
    Each time someone shows that he cares

/ Am E7 Am E7 / Am E7 Am - / C G7 C G7 / C E7 Am G7 /

Though her words are simple and few
    Listen, listen, she's calling to you
    Feed the birds, tuppence a bag
    Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag

/ C - F C / F C D7 G7 / C - F E7 / Fmaj7 D9 CG7 C /

What I love about this melody and melodies like it is the simplicity, and all of the different reharms that can fit and still sound natural, like they weren't written by the jazz police. On my three string gig last night (broke my E on the second tune), the piano player called "If I Only Had a Brain", and it was a hoot...and the folks listening loved it.

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Charts a bit weird. Its a waltz I thought.

Everyone should play a 3 string gig once in awhile. Keeps you fresh.

If I only had a brain. Brilliant. Next Thursday we're gonna steal that. We've been doing Walk Like an Egyptian, Sleepwalk, James Bond, Flinstones, and the Theme from The Price is Right. Its gonna fit great.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, it's definitely a waltz. I was working on a harmonization this morning, and may post when it's done. Gorgeous tune!

7. Tomasito

Tomasito

Feb 7, 2005
    There's a nice minor6 thing in the verse too, lovely simple writing. :) I keep thinking that Bill Evans would probably have had some fun with this tune.

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Post it for sure. I'll be stealing it of course.
    No doubt. Of course he can make chopsticks sound like a romantic masterpiece.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm thinking more "Lynne Arriale hymn tune" than uncle Bill, but I think it's gonna be a keeper. Here's the A section, one chord per bar (melody always on top) in a slooooooowwww waltz feel (thinking AABA' at this point):

F....Fadd9/A....Bbadd9....Fadd9/A....Bbadd9....Dmi7add4....G7....BbMa/C (D->Db)

F....Fadd9/A....Bbadd9....A7#5(+9 if desired)....BbMa7....Bmi7b5....Bb/C....F....Bb/C

The bridge is trickier because it's so static, but I know the answer is out there. More later...

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Looks nice.

I sold my piano and can't hear that harmony in my head. I'll play it out when I get a minute with keys.

Got that bridge yet?

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sorta.

Dm11....A7/E....Dm11/F....G-6....Dm11/A....BbMa7....Bmi7b5....C7sus

Fadd9....C/E...Dmi11....Ami11....BbMa7....G7(9)/B....Bb/C....C7b9

Maybe, maybe not. It's close.

12. kaybass1952

kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    I have a beautiful version of this song on 33. It's on a Hal Wilner produced tribute album of Disney Tunes, entitled "Stay Awake".The version is arranged and performed by Garth Hudson of the Band .(Unfortunatly my turntables broken so i haven' t heard it in a while).

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Or the parody version sung by Barney on the "Shirley Bobbins" episode of THE SIMPSONS...

14. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Bart: Can I be a boozehound?
    Homer: Not...till...you're...fifteen.

I love that episode. All of their old musical numbers were great. I transcribed that "Senor Burns" song that Tito Puente's group played on the Simpsons.

Alf Clausen, who does the music for the Simpsons, is a good writer. I seem to remember playing some cool big band charts by him once.

Speaking of recordings of "Tuppence" aka "Feed the Birds" check this out: Duke Ellington Plays Mary Poppins

P.S. See how it looked like I was totally hijacking this thread, but then brought it back in the end? That was awesome.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I came across this on a random search. I don't play DB but I'm a Poppins fan. I always loved Dick Van Dyke's character(s) when I was a kid and I still do.

Chim Chim Cher-Ee is a great song too as is Step in Time.

bc

16. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    That's a KILLER!!! :D

Buy me a beer, two bucks a glass
    Help me out here I'm freezing my a$$

Just BEAUTIFUL

17. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I grew up in London, England with Mary Poppins, and even now that I live in Los Angeles my young kids (boy 2 1/2 and girl 5 1/2) are watching it over and over again.

[EDIT: on re-reading, this above is an interesting statement as Mary Poppins was set in London, but filmed entirely on a sound stage in Los Angeles. What a coincidence - who'd a' thunk it.]

Wonderful, classic songs - I'd love to get to play jazz arrangements of them some time.

Oh, and just for ToR-Tu-Ra's benefit; I have spent a lot of time in Mexico City and my wife is from there. And I love the Simpsons - probably the only TV program I can bear to watch (but rarely get to do so as we are a non-TV household).

18. Tomasito

Tomasito

Feb 7, 2005
    Maybe not so much of a hijack! The 'Senor Burns' number borrows from 'Feed The Birds' a bit itself!

Have a listen here :)
    http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/downloads/music/senorburns.mp3