1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Turning a 2x12 car sub into a bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scrambledeggs21, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Hey, a friend of mine who works on car stereos gave me a big 2x12 car sub woofer box. I know enough about wiring speakers that I could turn this into a cabinet, but I need some help finding some parts. I already got a pair of 2x12 speakers from GK that are designed for the MB212 cab, the thing that I am having trouble with is finding and installing the back panel. The cab was designed for a car stereo and right now it has two seperate cups with a positive and a ground in each of them.
    Any links or any advice on how to move forward would be really appreciated.

2. Aside from not wanting to touch this with a ten foot pole, my eleven foot pole allows me to ask...
    Finding a back panel? Is it an open back cab?

brbadg and grillman like this.
  3. Dual-12-Inch-212VH-detailed-image-1. 005e0d76096cee4742cd3824383e7720. Basically the box looks like this, except the cups you see with the positive and ground are on the back instead of the side.

4. OK... so what are you trying to do re: finding a back panel?
    Isn't the cab closed on all sides?

5. Siren Sound

Siren Sound

Aug 10, 2016
    Honestly, it would be a lot less trouble to just build a box to fit a specific pair of speakers. Even if you put speakers in that sounded good, MDF is a terrible material for any product that you move around frequently. Moisture and frequent bumps can make it crumble, and it's SO heavy.

Not saying it can't be done with decent results, but I'd suggest a different route! If it's something you'd like to attempt since you already have all of the pieces, try to determine the recommended internal volume/ tuning for those GK drivers and adjust the port lengths accordingly. Some speaker handle cutouts would make it easier to handle and move. You'll also need to swap those tab inputs for some 1/4" or neutrik inputs. Best of luck!

6. -ps- They are positive and negative , not positive and ground. It can't be ground if not connected to anything.
    Actually, they are just red and black and carry no circuit significance if not connected into a circuit.
    -Sorry, but some of us are in the middle of another thread where we are trying to help a guy to not electrocute himself because he doesn't understand what Ground is in a circuit.