1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Turning my PC into a practice amp/ bass trainer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LooFunk, Jan 3, 2017.

1. LooFunk

LooFunk

Jan 3, 2017
    Hi,

I'm looking to plug my bass into my PC, is there any good software out there that is cheap and easy to use? I used to have the Tascam bass trainer years ago but no idea where it is.
    I need something compact as I need something that will not take up much room and not wake the kids up with big fat bass lines and annoy the neighbours. I would love to play with an amp but can't at the moment. I've heard of people plugging their instruments into their PC's but have no idea where to start, is it even worth it? I don't rubbish sound quality or anything, I would like to be able to pick an amp or sound on there as well as slow down tracks etc like my tascam.

thanks everyone!

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Get a Vox ac30. It's what I use. All you need is headphones.

Aqualung60 and LooFunk like this.
  3. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I use an iRig HD, my iphone, and some good headphones. :) Quiet practice, and decent amp modeling with many free/cheap apps.

4. LooFunk

LooFunk

Jan 3, 2017
    Isn't that for guitar? Is it the one that plugs into ur bass? Got a link?

Fergie Fulton likes this.
  5. LooFunk

LooFunk

Jan 3, 2017
    Is the quality good? Can you play along with mp3s?

6. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    To plug your bass into your PC, you need a USB audio interface. I use something called a focusrite solo; it's cheap and it works fine. You also need Digital Audio Workstation software. My iMac comes with garageband, which is just fine for computer illiterate folk such as myself. There's a PC version, called Acoustica. Garageband can be used for composing, too, should you get the notion. It's not great software, but it's easy to use.

FunWithBass likes this.
  7. jfh2112 likes this.
  8. WesW

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Yes - there are settings on the various apps (JamUp Pro is my fav, also AmpliTube, GarageBand, PocketGK, and others) that allow it to function while minimized, so you can play along with mp3s, youtube, websites (I'm in Ariane Cap's course bass course) and sounds really well. It's suitable for recording, and since I'm going in via iphone plug and not 1/4" - it is noiseless. Sounds great...

9. WesW

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    FYSA - the iRig has a USB plug option included in the box, so it works as an interface to PC's as well. . .

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  10. MoonQuake

MoonQuake Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Montréal, Qc.
    I do all my rehearsing, practicing, composing etc... ampless and with my Mac. The way I'm set up is :

Apogee One (but any other usb audio interface with headphones out for your budget should do) and I use Guitar Rig from Native Instruments free Komplete players package.

I use Logic when I need to track.

There you go. It can be as simple as that.

11. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    It plus into your bass, computer and you headphones. You can play to anything you have on your computer. And yes the ac30 is the guitar model but the tone is better than the bass model.

12. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    jfh2112 likes this.
  13. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    IMG_0069. The white cord comes from the computer. The top wire is to the headphones. And I got a female to female splice so I didn't need to plug it directly into my bass. Works like a charm.

14. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    It runs on AAA batteries and I got a load of rechargeable.

15. Aaron Mc

Aaron Mc

Jul 28, 2006
    Avondale, AZ
    Here are some basic options:

1) Plug your bass directly into your computer sound card using an adapter. I made this work with a mac mini and garage band until my wife claimed the computer for her space.

2) Get an audio interface that will act as an external sound card:

3) Get a small mixer and use the in and out from your computer sound card.
    I use this one: Amazon.com: Mackie 402VLZ4, 4-channel Ultra Compact Mixer with High Quality Onyx Preamps: Musical Instruments
    Headphone out from sound card goes to tape in, tape out goes to sound card mic input. Get a splitter cable if you need more than output for your sound card.​

FunWithBass and kodiakblair like this.
  16. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    This cost a total of $40

17. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    And no special software involved.

18. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I've been using it for 3 years and it works like a charm. You can even use it with YouTube.

fffreddy likes this.
  19. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I use the FocusRite Scarlett 2i4 and Audacity freeware on the PC, very happy with it so far. It's a bit klunky building practice loops with Audacity, but not bad once you get the hang of it. Now what I'd like is a USB foot controller with maybe 3-4 programmable buttons, so I don't have to keep going back and forth between the instruments and the mouse / keyboard - anyone know of something like that?

FunWithBass and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sweet program... have used it plenty, myself.