Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tweeter prob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rdcalab, Jan 26, 2005.

1. rdcalab

rdcalab

Jan 10, 2005
    San Diego
    hey peeps, my first post so be nice. :rollno: i just got my walkabout out of the shop w/ the upgrade. plugged into my brand new ashdown mag 410. blown tweeter (i think? a vibrato phaser sounding thing). can this be??? am i doing something wrong?

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If the tweeter is blown be thankfull. Your bass will sound a lot better and you didn't have to open up the speaker cabinet to cut the wires to the tweeter. Enjoy it. :hyper:

3. rdcalab

rdcalab

Jan 10, 2005
    San Diego
    i don't really know if its blown or not. when the volume is any louder than quiet practice type level, this thing starts a high pitched-decending-flutter sound??? should i just cut this thing out? what todo w/ the wires..and hole??? any help appreciated. :confused:

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'm sure that you consider this to be worthwhile advise, but a substantial percentage of bassplayers appreciate the fact that the bass is a full range instrument and deserves to be treated as such.

5. That is a fact that many do not seem to appreciate. It is like if it is above 2500 hz...Shoot the sucker...cause it is apparently comin alive!
    ;)

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Many people don't realize that attenuators on tweeters, most of the time, shouldn't be turned up all or most of the way. Dial in just a tad, and your tone comes alive.

My opinion, of course yours may vary. Put a tweeter in a cab with an attenuator, and you can always turn it off or dial a little in should the need arise. Buy a cab without a tweeter and attenuator, and you've backed yourself in a corner.