1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two 4x8 cabs vs two 112 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpsexton, Jan 19, 2012.

1. jpsexton

jpsexton

Apr 12, 2004
    I currently have an Ashdown ABM 500 and two 112 cabinets loaded with Delta-12LFA's and horn. I love the potability of this rig but I have never been completely happy. The low end is strong but always a little boomy.

I have lately been thinking that maybe two 4x8 cabs might just be the solution. Still just as portable but tight and focused like a 4x10.

There are a few on the market. Ashdown, Markbass, Seismic Audio, and LDS just to name a few.

What are your thoughts?

(BTW, I play 4 string jazz basses...)

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    The Delta 12 LFA has a huge peak at 2 khz and drops off fast. If you're running a HF driver and not a mid range, your cab probably has a whole lot bigger mid scoop than a normal 410 does between woofer and tweet. That is assuming your cabs and speakers are a match and since your profile isn't filled out and I have no idea if they're home brew or not. ;)

Oh, and I'd check out fEarful cabs if you haven't yet.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's the fault of the cabinet design, not the size of the drivers used.

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Bill, I know without driver specs or cab design it's tough for you to answer, but generally speaking, what's your opinion of using 8" drivers as the primary voice of a cab?

5. jpsexton

jpsexton

Apr 12, 2004
    They match according to Eminence recommendations. They are not homebrew but not the oem speakers for the cabinet either.

That probably has something to do with it but I used to have a Trace Elliot combo with a 12 in it and I always felt the same way about it. Not overly boomy mind you but I want a more focused cleaner sound.

What do you think of 8's?

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Eights have too small a displacement to be cost effective. The average eight displaces 75cc, the average fifteen 350cc, so you'll need more than four eights to equal one fifteen in low frequency output. But the average fifteen doesn't cost more than four times what eights do; one and a half times perhaps.
    Then there's the matter of dispersion. Yes, eights usually go higher than fifteens, and more important have wider high frequency dispersion, but when you put eights side by side kiss that dispersion goodby. From both a cost and sonically effective standpoint one fifteen and one six, with a crossover of course, is far better than a 4x8.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Driver size is not the issue. Poor cab design is. In the correct box a Delta LF can be a nice tight and punchy sound.

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Steamthief,
    I've owned most the 2x8 cabinets that have been built over the last 20 years. A SWR Baby Blue 2x8 with it's accompanying 2X8 extension. A pair of Flite Sound 2x8's with Near aluminum drivers. A single Euphonic Audio VL 208, and an LDS 2x8 Three Way. I also played through Ken Jungs' LDS 3x8 cabinet.
    My take, is that multiple 8's can sound very good, depending on the person who builds the cabinet. A pair of VL 208's with the right power amp can really sound phenomenal, and Don's LDS 2x8 three sounds incredible. It handles 450 watts, since he used B&C Neo's. Apparently, the new Fatial
    8" neo's are even better at handling lows. The drawback is those drivers are expensive, so two custom built 4x8 cabinets, with an additional midrange and tweeter is not as cheap as a single 12 with a tweeter. The speakers alone for two, four eight cabinets, would be $1,423.00 and no commercial or
    boutique cabinet builders build one, so that should tell you something. SWR was the only manufacturer to actually build 4x8's and they were not a successful product for them.
    Ric

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    As said, don't get hung up on size, you can include different 12's in your hunt. The deltaLF is just that...Low Frequency. It's tradeoff for that full bottom is not much upper response to balance it out. They also like a box that's likely a bit bigger than what they're in to keep from getting too boomy. Something with a deltaliteII or an OEM variant of it will have at least as much lowend capability, likely more, but have much better upper response to balance it out. They're also more small-box friendly and higher spl...more sound coming out per watt going in.

8's with a good combination of spl and low enough response for a full bottom are hard to find. I can't remember the model but there is one LDS uses that's about the best 8 I've seen for electric bass that doesn't come with a completely insane price. Of course, when you start mounting them side-by-side, you've destroyed on of the biggest advantages to using an 8 in the first place.

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Will 33,
    Don Oatman originally used B&C 8NW51's B&C SPEAKERS
    There is an Eminence that he found was pretty close, his comments were that it was 80% as good as the B&C's which cost a lot more money.

Bill's comments below, jogged my memory about the design of my LDS 2X8 three way. Don's a pretty sharp guy, because rather than placing the two B&C 8" drivers with one directly above the other, he placed them diagonally. I would assume that helped with dispersion issue that Bill mentioned.

"Yes, eights usually go higher than fifteens, and more important have wider high frequency dispersion, but when you put eights side by side kiss that dispersion goodby."

Ric

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Diagonal placement is better than horizontal but still less than vertical with regards to dispersion.

12. My extension cab is an old SWR 4x8. I love it. It will handle a low B no problem, it "throws" well and it's light and compact.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In a 2 or 3 way design, it depends on where they're crossed over to the next higher driver. Done right, the dispersion may not be an issue at all.
    When running them fullrange or going straight from woofer to tweeter, the narrower a pattern you can get them in, the wider dispersion and the less combing there is in the horizontal plane. Hence the "side by side is wrong, diagonal is better, vertical is best".

14. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    If you dont need sub lows you could be fine with em. delta 12 pro A. It can get quite loud and tight in 2 cu ft box.

15. Putting aside the hypothetical "what is better than the other" talk, have you thought specifically about SWR's Henry the 8x8? If the modularity of 2 4x10s is not a deciding factor, you should look at one of these - they come up cheap on the used market, and are very nice sounding cabs. At 100 lbs they weigh about as much as a standard 4x10, and while they are a little bulky the wheels make them pretty easy to move - if you have space in your vehicle.

16. +1, I like the Henry 8x8. Great cab.

17. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I once owned a Nemesis N28S combo, and while it didn't sound anywhere close to the advertised 120 watts, the two 8" drivers produced a really smooth, rich, balanced tone. I wish I didn't sell it, for me it was probably the perfect practice amp, even if the drivers were side-by-side.

I asked Bill his thoughts on eights because I've seen a couple Traynor 8x8 cabs pop up at pretty good prices. I've read good stuff about the SWR 8x8 cabs, and I'm trying to determine if it's worth my while to take a sixty minute drive for a demo.

18. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Will 33,
    Again, this is very appropriate to my cabinets. My favorite 2x8 Double Bass Cabinet is the VL 208 that has the drivers aligned vertically, with a D' appolito Array (Mid, Treble, Mid) directly adjacent the two drivers. It has a very smooth response and lots of definition. Thanks for the great info.

Ric

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's perhaps the best alignment there is. D'Appolito is a genius. He's one of the guys who figured out, or at least put together some of the stuff we take for granted.......and subsequently ruin for the sake of "convenience".