Two cabs without biamping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hi all - I have an Ampeg B2R - currently using it with a 4-ohm SVT-410-HLF cab. I am going to try a Hartke 1X15XL cab (8-ohm), along with a Hartke 2X10XL cab (also 8 ohm). Since my head does not biamp - will this still sound Ok?

Thanks - Skel
  2. There are a lot of people on this forum that are using the
    2x10 & 1x15 rig, including me. And there was a thread awhile
    ago about this subject. Check it out on page 14 of the amps forum.
    Here's the title: 2x10 with 1x15 experiences

I don't know how to make a link for you.

I bi-amped for many years, and recently started running
    "full range". I like the tone I'm getting much more now
    than when I was bi-amping. Of course, tone is extremely subjective.
  3. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Thanks for the pointer. It seems like everything I think of has already been beat to death! So I'm in the right place!

Thanks - Skel
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i also prefer the full range approach. in fact, many manufacturers have told me they preferred the sound of their heads/cabs run full range, but had to add a crossover in order to be competitive in the market.
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The problem with biamping is the speakers. In the PA and Hi-fi world there is very little overlap in the bandwidth of the drivers being used, each is well attuned to the range it operates in, and bi-, tri- or even quad-amping works well. In the electric bass speaker realm the bandwidths of the drivers have such a wide overlap that when you bi-amp you literally lose half their potential output. For instance, the average 15 works well from 50 Hz to 1kHz, the average ten from 100 Hz to 2 kHz. If you crossover at 500 Hz a full octave of the 15's range and better than two octaves of the 10's range isn't utilized. If you're going to biamp and have it work well then your speakers have to be properly configured to do so, combining not 15's and 10's, but 18's and 8's.