1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two-Level Potentiometers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sir Edward V, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Does anyone know where I can get the pots that have two layers in the same hole like on some of boss's effects or on active warwicks or other active basses?

I would like some for a project I am working on, i need to save space...

2. you mean concentric pots?

and no, i don't know where to get them :meh:

is this for your be-all-end-all fuzz?

3. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Allparts has a few. Chances are you'll have to use resistors in parallel to get the values you need.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    do you mean stacked potentiometers, where you control both separately, or dual-ganged where you control both with one knob?

allparts.com, mouser.com are your best bets for either. Just be aware your range of impedance values available will be limited since they're a less common requirement, so as sonicvi said be prepared to do some extra work.

5. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yeah I meant stacked where you control both seperately

and yes, this is for my end-all-be-all fuzz :)

looks like allparts has some

how to I change them to the values I want by adding resistors? do I strap value x resistor in between each of the poles?

6. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    looks like concentric pots go for like $12 a pop... thats a lot of money... seeing as how the other pots can be had for like $1... so to save money or to save space...

7. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Don't forget the cost for the knobs.

It depends on the values you want. You can only make the values smaller, not larger. What you do is put a resistor in parallel with the outside lugs of the pot to change it's value. So, make a 100K pot a 50K pot with a 100K resistor. Though, if they're audio taper pots they won't be exactly like having pots of a lower value, but close.

8. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    thats what I thought... this is going to need a big enclosure... ::sigh:: I was hoping to fit it in a metalmuff/polyphase/new micro qtron+ size enclosure... but with this many knobs... it will be difficult... not to mention fitting the LBM inside as well as the circuitboard for the EQ itself...

maybe I'll put them the EQ in its own case and leave the muff in its own and connect them via 1 stereo jack so I can still turn them on at the same time... I could probably fit the EQ in a LBM size case...

hmmm :meh:

9. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    just opened my LBM... they could have easily fit that inside the nano case if they didn't have the option to use it with a battery... they would have had to make the circuitboard slightly smaller, but I'm sure they could have done it. anyways, there is plenty of room for my stereo jack. I think I could fit the EQ in one of those cases even with the 10 knobs... unless someone can find those knobs for cheaper for me!

10. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Check ebay, you might find something on there.