1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two New Recordings Up

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Kevin Hsieh, Mar 13, 2008.

1. www.myspace.com/kshaybass

forgive the shameless self-promotion

i'd really like some feedback

Stella By Starlight
    You and the Night and the Music

2. Nami

Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    Israel
    I heard both and they are both great and your work was done relly good but i really expected a bass solo that never came on stella, i thought it will come when i heard the piano minimizing itself but it was a shame that the solo haven't showed up.

3. thanks man. it was for his piano audition tape,so both the drummer and i just comped throughout the session.

4. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Kevin,

Sounds good. I'm always hesitant to offer advice or suggestions, as I know my playing is always in need of work, and I hate to sound like I'm trying to be an authority on things.... but, one thing I can think of is, during your solo, maybe think about using a bit more space as part of your improvising. I always remember what Tony Malaby told me a while back... a good way to open things up is to play a simple idea/phrase, and listen to that idea replayed in your head before you go on to your next idea/phrase. It's kind of like imposing a rule on yourself, so that only after you've listened back to what you just played can you go on to play something new. It's amazing how much doing this can free things up though, as it makes you listen way more to those around you, and really jump starts the whole "give and take" thing.

5. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    Ha, I like the piano player's 'Lowrider' quote on Stella:D I noticed one thing you did that I struggle with myself. After the solo break on You and the Night and the Music, you came in a few clicks under the tempo. Not a huge thing, but it kind of takes the wind out of the sails, so to speak. I have trouble coming in right at the tempo of the count off sometimes--I have to really pay attention to the groove any time there's a transition like that to make sure I don't screw up. You sound great though, keep up the good work!

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Hey Kev. Great stuff again. I've been outta town with a gig and then crazy when I got back. Sorry for the delay.

I gave a quick listen last night and a few things struck me right away.

The arrangement of Stella is really cool. For such a worn out tune you guys managed to make it your own. Kudos. I heard two things on there that stuck out though.

First, be careful when switching between half-time and walking. I found that the two grooves didn't have the same time feel. By that I mean that your walking was nice and on top but the half-time was a little behind the beat for my taste. I gives it the illusion of dragging without really doing so. Also, as far as your walking. Real nice lines. When a drummer is playing with brushes and his brush thing is pretty relaxed I think the onus falls on you to really move the groove along both in what you do with time and harmonically. My favorite example of two-feel to walking is Ray and Ed Thigpen playing with Oscar Peterson on Green Dolphin Street from Sound of the Trio.

Also, I thought dynamically it was cool but not totally together. I felt like the piano player was trying to kick you guys and you guys weren't there. I think his style really lends itself to a more interactive rhythm section. Check out trios like Kenny Werner or Jean Michel Pilc. These are on the opposite extreme.

Overall really great though an I know you would post here if you didn't want some honest critique. I'll try to listen to the other tune later. M-->

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Nice stuff man. Really nice. I especially like Pliny's tune. Nice tune. The improvisation sounds like you guys are of one mind. I like how you lay back when the drummer and the piano get into it. Sometimes that is the best thing to do and it takes a certain amount of maturity to do it. Kudos.

St. Patrick's Day is a really pretty tune. You guys do a nice job of keeping it mellow. The feel and mood are really nice. I wanted to hear more melodic ideas from you though. There is so much space in the tune that is just screams for you to make your voice heard. I don't mean take spotlight or focus away from the trio but get in there. React, respond. This tune remind me a bit of some of Mehldau's mellower stuff. Check out how Larry Grenadier deals with it. Drew Gress with Fred Hersch is also great here.

Overall great stuff. Keep it up.

8. Thanks Marc!

Your advice always puts a new light on things. Done with finals! TIME TO SHED!