1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two volume pots for the birds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hhenry, May 20, 2011.

1. MelodiousThump

MelodiousThump

Jul 4, 2006
    I love the tones I can get from my Jazz bass, but I use my P-bass for gigging, partly because of the master volume factor.

2. Yeah, I really don't like the VVT setup. I would rather have V/T/3-Way switch.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'm not crazy about having two volume pots since i like to run my bass at 90% with 10% more available if i need it for a particular song, so in this one, i went with THREE volume pots (the small 5th knob is a master volume, with a cap and resisitor on it so it doesn't change tone when i back it off).

325no1completed-3toasters.

on a passive jazz bass, i have a master volume, a 4 way rotary for the middle knob (bridge, both in parallel, neck, both in series).

on my active j bass with emg's i have a master volume, passive balance and stacked treble & bass (the last small stacked knob):

blkmaplejbass-02.

4. MelodiousThump

MelodiousThump

Jul 4, 2006
    +1
    I play guitar, too. The Fender Telecaster has this set-up and it works very well.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    On actives I go with master vol, blend, and EQ controls. Pretty standard for actives.

On passives I ALWAYS rip out the VVT stuff. It's for the birds!

I have two solutions I use. One is that mentioned above. The first knob becomes master vol and the second knob is a rotary with Neck/series both/parallel both/bridge. My alternative, scheme is a master vol, A passive blend (which works pretty crappy as a blend control) and Tone. The volume has a push-pull switch for series/parallel. Mostly the "blend" control acts like a switch where you just flip it from max one way to max the other or at the detent to select, one the other or both pickups. You actually CAN get a blend going with some careful knob dialing, but it certainly does not work as well as an active blend.

For the most part the rotary switch works just fine. I'm a big G&L fan anyway so switching works fine for me.

6. The salesman at the store that sold me my second bass (Squier jazz) told me it was wired volume/blend/tone...:eyebrow:

I was disappointed.

I think it's a great idea, I may consider a mod in the coming months.