1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugh (Rant)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Apr 28, 2010.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So it seems life throws another curve ball.

I had borrowed money from my friend to help me pay rent until I get paid next week. I was already a week late with the rent because I didn't quite grasp the pay period with my job (my first week is counting towards the next pay period) so I asked my friend to loan me the difference and I'd pay him back when I get my check. No problem. I stuffed it into the breast pocket of my jacket and zipped it up before he left NY.

Went to rehearsal with my band, and then headed over to the bar down the street to grab a drink and a bite to eat. I left my jacket on the chair to go to the bathroom and smoke a cigarette. When I came back my jacket was gone and no one had seen what happened to it. I later found it in the parking like sans money, metrocard, cigarettes, and lighter.:meh:

Any advice on how to raise $400 in two days?:meh::crying:

2. whore yourself out.

but seriously that sucks man. Hopefully it all works out.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Wow. I can't believe, even with this economy, that the dumbass tax has hit 400 bucks and a pack of cigarettes.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Donate blood?
    Temp labor?
    Pawn something?

-Mike

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Table in the corner of the restaurant half of the place, and I had 5 friends sitting at the table next to us. Unfortunately they were most likely too drunk to notice anything and didn't see anyone take it. Neither did the staff (I know everyone who works there on a first name basis)

In otherwords, yeah, the dumbass tax hit 400 bucks and a pack of cigarettes.:meh:

6. wow... :scowl:

what was the cash doing in your jacket pocket and not on your person?

as far as raising $400 in less than 2 days i'd have to say the easiest way to do it would be to check the bars to see if any moron has left their jacket on the bar stool with $400 in cash in the pocket, then steal it.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Maybe it was an inside job..... :eyebrow:

-Mike

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    No one knew I even had the cash on me. I wear a beat up leather jacket. The breast pockets zipper up so I put the money in there yesterday morning at work as I forgot my wallet at home. (yeah another dumb ass move, but I live around the corner from the place) I figured with the money all zippered up and away, I wouldn't have to worry about losing the money going about my day which was my biggest concern.

Anyone wanna buy a kidney?

Or a bass...

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Sell something. If you pawn something, you'll have to pay back your friend and the pawn shop.

10. try opening a credit card with the bank? assuming you can get it in two days (doubtful), they usually start out with a line of credit of at least $500. then you'll have to make minimum payments on it until you can afford to pay it all off and cancel it.

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Seriously though. I know it sucks. Just messing with you. You're a good guy who's only crime was a stupid moment with money. We've all been there. Karma's on your side. Keep your chin up. Solutions will reveal themselves. :)

12. if you'd post pics of your hondo II, I could swing some money you're way.

13. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Day one passes - think this is going to be an saga of a thread.

On leaving vital things in public places unsecured....'nuf said.

On money - is there a way you could ask your present employer to advance you some money.

Hell, I'll Paypal you a twenty..

14. Go to a middle school, corner kids and threaten them into giving you their lunch money. 5 bucks at a time, 100 kids and you got your rent, 200 and you have rent+your buddy paid back, 300 kids and you get rent+buddy paid back+drunk for a week.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

As much as it may hurt (I feel your pain), I'm sure your gear list could be shortened by half without anyone but you noticing it. There are very valuable items in there, some of them you probably need less than a friend and a roof over your head.

16. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you have this much gear but you're borrowing from friends to pay your rent, you need to re-think your priorities.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Have you seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels?? :D

I'll send you $400 via PayPal right now for your 67 Precision!

18. You seem to have quite a lot of vintage gear. I'm sure just one of those could make your rent and give you enough to pay your mate back?

19. +1. This made me giggle.

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Well I sold my TV and Blu-Ray player to a friend of mine for $125. I haven't turned it on since last May and I only used it to watch movies.

While a lot of my gear is vintage, a couple of pieces were inherited (all my guitars and my 71 P-bass) and I've been trying to sell what I don't play off, but no buyers... I've had a lot of these for awhile or traded for them. The other ones I bought, I bought when I worked a lot at different jobs. I've spent under $300 on bass stuff this year, and thats including strings. Still trying to get rid of a bunch of crap (I really only play 3 of them)