Uh, seal plywood floor

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassfacer22, Aug 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi guys,

this may or may not apply to Double bass but I don't know where else to put this question and plus I like how you guys seem to know a ton of cool products about all kinds of things - doublebass or not..

so the question is :

My folks just got this wood barn in their backyard, It's completely just plain (not painted, not stained not anything.. just plywood straight up nailed together.. ha.)

what do you do to keep the floor with all the harsh winter and snow from their boots? ha..

I'm sure you guys know some cool products etc.. as for example one guy told me about a product to take out cat piss from your case.. ha..

here is the barn:
    thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. Ortsom

Ortsom Inactive

Mar 23, 2016
    Ah, finally a body with an adjustable A0.

PU?

Remyd likes this.
  3. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    If you really want to keep it nice, you could try one of the garage-floor products that the old-car guys use. But with a shed like that, I'd keep it simple and expect to replace the floor every six to eight years, since the termites will likely be eating it from underneath in short order.

MattZilla likes this.
  4. Spray-on truck bedliner?

5. haha yes. more of that.. I want something like spray on truck bedliner.. and it can be used on the bottom of my amp too.

6. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I'd buy anything from THIS guy...

7. yes! haha.. see that's what I'm talking about.. you could use that on a Bass cab and seal it from rain!.. ha.

8. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    That's as funny as a screen door on a submarine. (Haven't used that one since I was a kid.)

9. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Roll-on bedliner would probably be less expensive (and quicker).

10. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    A sheet of vinyl flooring will take care of that real easily.

11. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    That'd be too easy, but probably cheaper than bedliner.

12. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

130031_0410_var_1gal_floorfinishpolyurethane_clear_gloss.png
    This is Bowling-Alley Tuff...

13. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Marble tile is pretty easy to install, too. Frame it in a glass mosaic with a center medallion, and you got yourself a shed floor. Don't forget to seal the grout.

14. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    It would look nice, but an endpin would ruin it (as it applies to DB).

15. you think my DoubleBass would sound good in here with truck bed liner, stain, or marble inlay haha..

image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  16. Looks like a nice small practice/rehearsal area.

robobass likes this.
  17. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Just use some clear urethane floor sealer like Don suggested. You wouldn't want to spoil the wood theme.

Don Kasper likes this.
  18. Highest grade mis-mixed cull paint you can find locally from a paint supplier. Should be available at a very good markdown from several places. Any place that does custom tint will have mistakes for sale cheap.

19. One of the key points with these is (as has been sort of already mentioned) damage from below.

(Caution~Captain Hindsight~ comment to follow) :

You should have treated the underside of the ply floor-boards before they went down. I'd drive in some of those in-ground termite killing spikes around it now were I you.

Back on topic:

Seal the inside and outside of the structure with any quality outdoor sealant or paint product. Spray application would be easiest. (Not rattle cans, I mean a paint spray gun.)

I would not put vinyl over the plywood floor as you have no real vapor barrier under the structure, and moisture would build up between the floor and vinyl. The spray on or roll on bed liner is a great suggestion.

20. I'd avoid any kind of vapor barrier on the top of the floor as you want to leave a route for any moisture that gets into the floor to exit.

Mktrat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021