Ultra-ligthweight power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by duke2004, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You guys are such gear snobs! :D I think this little baby has it's place and at it's price point there's nothing that comes even close. The Focus SA clearly has more power but it's also more than twice as much money. Unless I'm missing something there is no power amp with the portability of the Bose unit for that price and if you don't need a lot of power you could use this, a compact pre-amp and a efficient light weight cab and be well under 30lbs with very little bulk. In many venues in NYC that power amplifier and the right cab would be more than enough.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The Flying Mole amps look interesting:
    http://www.flyingmoleelectronics.com/products/index.html

They have several configurations on their mono blocks.
    About the same price as Bose, less watts but getting good reviews in the hi-fi arena.

The AC/DC models look real interesting, but no pricing that I could find.

3. robb.

robb. Gold Supporting Member

i think the most important part is the $400 pricetag for 250W at 4 Ohms. of course, i think i'd rather pick up a used dpc750 if i need that power at that price. it fits better in my rack.

robb.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

+100

I love mine. Those are high power and low weight. And for the "I hate digital and won't play anything but a tube amp" people - fine.

5. FWIW the Acoustic Image Clarus integrated amps are 200W at 4 ohms as well. Since the new series three are out, I would think that there should be a few of those around. I bought mine used for $375 6 mo ago.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The good news is that quite a few manufacturers are jumping on on the bandwagon. We'll get to see lots of options soon.
    I bet that Bose does not manufacture their amps and is picking up something repackaged.
    I know that AI has been around for years and proved reliable.
    And a lot of head manufacturers will/do probably just buy these types of power amps as modules now.

I'd be comfortable buying AI, Bose, Alto, Flying Mole, ...
    The preamp is what makes a difference for me.
    The "amp" part is more and more a commodity.
    Eventually I hope cabinets also get there, maybe they are in form of PA cabinets - but that's another thread.

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You know, I hate to say it, Sound Tech makes a PS-800 800 watt power amp that is 1 space and weighs all of about 11 pounds.

8. My PS-802 wieghs about 15 pounds, 1 rack space.
    BUT.... I'm looking into an AI SA. For portability reasons,
    I'm looking into getting out of a rack system, and into a
    Pedal board type set up with a stomp box type preamp.

Just my $.02 worth.

PS. the soundtech only bridges at 8 Ohms, so it wouldn't be
    able to go full power into my (future)Schroeder 1210.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Haven't used the Bose amps for bass, but I have used them for that pole PA they have. They worked, that's all I can say about them. Nothing overly bad, nothing overly good.

Actually, come to think of it, I have used them for bass. When we used the pole PA, they had 4 sub cabs for me and a SansAmp BDDI with those amps. Eh...it wasn't bad but it didn't kick me in the sack like a regular bass amp.

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Got ya!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021