1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Under powered? or OK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendblues, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Ok, I got this GK 400RB IV that I reaally like. I want to pick up a couple of 8 ohm cabs to run it at 4 ohms for maximum effeciency.

Im now looking at the Avatar 212 neo, and the Avatar 210 neo.

Would this be OK? Or is there a point when you have to much cabinet and not enough amp. The GK is 280 watts at 4 ohms.

I usually dont play out anymore but I have a benefit gig coming up, and I want to move some air.:meh:

2. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I don't think you can underpower cabs so that anything bad happens.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Please search on "underpowering".

4. G-K amps are conservatively rated. That means you have a lot more power than than you might realize. I've never played the 400rb but it has a huge following and paired with some efficient cabs you should do well.

I use a 700RBII rated at 480 watts and it seems more powerful than some amps I've played that were rated at more than a thousand watts.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The GK 400 RB is an amazing little amp. Their 250 or so watts (I forget how much exactly) will drive any efficient speaker cabinets, which the Avatars are, to a very loud level. I used one for 10 years, the original 400 RB, driving a pair of 8 ohm Yorkville 1x15 cabs. It handled pretty near any situation I gigged in and I had to play pretty loud at times. So sure, your Avatars will handle more power, but you probably won't need it unless you're playing way too loud with a couple guitarists with Marshall stacks and a Neanderthal drummer. For most gigging situations 200-300 watts is enough if you are using fairly efficient speakers.

That should be a very nice sounding rig.

6. I don't think his point was underpowering the speakers, even though you might infer that from his post. I think it was more along the lines of is it better to have more power/less speakers, or less power and more speakers?

In either case, the 400RB will get plenty loud, especially with two 8 ohm avatars.

If you want loud, go with two 8 ohm 212s....wow.

7. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the Avatars. I read great reviews about them. I like the GK....great little amp.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Question asked and answered.

Before this thread goes down "that road" I'm closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.