1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Under-rated bands (with good bassists)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player G-B-W : https://www.reverbnation.com/gbw1 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    What are some under-rated bands with good bassists? I always liked The Afghan Whigs and thought they were a highly under-rated band. Their album 'Gentlemen' from 93' still gets into my rotation on occasion.
    I really liked John Curley's bass playing and tone on that album. 'Black Love' from 96' was also a really good album from them. I do give them credit because the broke up and got back together and released albums in 2014 & 2017.
    I'd like to hear what bands that you think were/are under-rated and deserved more notoriety and air play . Thanks.
    **Try to keep it around the 90's era, but if there is a very under-rated band from a different era that you'd like to share with us - by all means do so. ;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I changed the thread from under-rated bands from the 90's (with good bassists) to just under-rated bands (with good bassists). To open things up a little bit.
    I guess try to keep it around the 90's era though (late 80's thru early 2000's), but by all means if there is an under-rated band not in that time frame that you think we should know about - please feel free to share it with us.

3. Riverdude

Riverdude

Sep 20, 2018
    I've always thought D.R.I had some interesting bass lines.

4. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I always tell people:"Porcupine Tree is the greatest band nobody has ever heard of." Colin Edwin is an outstanding bassist.

5. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Agreed! I would have never heard of them if not for an old drummer friend of mine telling me to check them out. Thanks for your input.

larrygs and biguglyman like this.
  6. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Is that the thrash/punk band D(irty) R(otten) I(mbecils)? I've heard of them, but have never listened to them. I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

**Edit**
    I just listened to their song 'Thrash Zone'. Pretty good stuff. I am surprised that I never checked them out back in the day because I used to listen to bands like The Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves.

7. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I would never have heard of them either except they opened for Yes at a show here back in 2002. That "THUNK" you heard back then was my jaw hitting the floor...

8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I'm going to stick with the 90's, just to narrow it down; that was such a weird time period, what with the grunge onslaught. There were so many under the radar yet interesting bands that came along with something different in spite of all that. For the most part, the bassists weren't necessarily astounding players, but they did their jobs, played for the song, and got an occasional high profile moment. This first band did have a loyal following, cranked out a lot of albums and singles, and while stylistically were a mash-up of the Velvet Underground, Swingle Singers, Bossa Nova, Jet-Age Lounge, Free Design, Joe Byrd, and motorik Krautrock like Neu!, Can, and La Dusseldorf, they still managed to sound like no one else...

The epitome of what was labeled 'twee pop', this Scottish outfit is still going strong after 25 years(I saw them last summer); not a lot of flash bass work, just what is needed, echoes of early Donovan, Simon & Garfunkel and Nick Drake in their stuff...

Even with the 'Britpop' surge, these guys got totally lost in the shuffle, great atmospherics, but hopelessly obscure...

This outfit had it going on for a brief period, very groovy transcendental 60's psychedelia, and no wonder...the lead singer/guitarist was the son of one of that decade's icons, Hayley Mills...

Kula Shaker - Govinda
    Kula Shaker - Tattva

No flannel anywhere.

baSfo, MCF, dxb and 7 others like this.
  9. Riverdude

Riverdude

Sep 20, 2018
    yeah that's them, they're pretty hit or miss for me. My favorite albums of theirs are definition and live. The song acid rain has some cool bass.

Pedulla-Player likes this.
  10. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I'd prefer if we stuck to the 90's, but I found out that the band I used as an example formed in the late 80's. lol

BTW - Thanks for your input. Definitely stuff I've never heard before. ;)

11. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    The D.R.I. post got me thinking of when I listened to some pretty weird off-the-wall stuff in the late 80's and early 90's and it made me think of a band that I haven't even thought of in over 25 years. I had no idea my brain could pop something out of no where that hasn't even crossed my mind in that long?!?
    Mr. Bungle <--- Now that was one heck of a weird band. Not saying they are under-rated - just weird. ;)

The Owl, pellomoco14, GlennRH and 7 others like this.
  12. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    In my opinion the king of under-rated bands = Pinback.

13. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    How about King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard? Great Aussie band with some serious chops and weird ideas... like their disk Flying Microtonal Banana where they had guitars specially built with crazy frets to do the micro-tonal parts. They even put out five albums in one year. (2017)

14. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

**Edit**
    Their live performance on KEPX was pretty dang cool. Thanks for mentioning them. ;)

biguglyman likes this.
  15. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

That's OK, I kinda spaced out a bit on the Delays, they're actually from the early/mid-2000's:woot:. Sad news about the singer/guitarist that I didn't know about, he's suffering from serious bowel cancer.

16. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

(Edit)
    Drury corrected, cheers mate.

17. JohnPaulSmith

JohnPaulSmith Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Norman Watt-Roy is one of my favorites.
    Not to be picky but it's Dury.

18. Rob Weston, and the band Shellac.

Too many good clips on youtube to post.

JFGI

jpTron, Pedulla-Player, Jokei and 4 others like this.
  19. Dana R Gregory

Dana R Gregory Supporting Member

May 12, 2014
    Deland, Florida
    I stumbled onto this Psychobilly band from Hungary on YouTube. They are called Silvershine and the girl playing bass is terrific. :D
    Here is the YouTube link to one of their many videos:

20. I think I'm going to have to go with Better than Ezra. They got some radio play in the early and mid nineties, but I feel they are criminally underrated.
    Tom Drummond is really the driving force of the band (imho); his lines drive pretty much their entire catalogue. Amazing player, great groove.