Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underrated player: Dee Murray

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funkee1, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Did you ever listen really closely to the basslines of old Elton John records? Most of them were played by Dee Murray, who should be a lot more famous than he is. I seem to recall that he died a couple of years ago, but I think it's time to give him his due.

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I love Dee Murray's bass lines on those early records. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" has some killer lines. I always liked his fat tone, which often sounds like flatwounds played with a pick. I'm also surprised that his name isn't mentioned much. Great player....

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't know if it's still there but Corner Music in Nashville, TN keeps an old G&L bass of Dee Murray's on display. I understand that he did session work in Nashville after he worked with Elton John.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Dee Murray is very underrated.
    Seen him with E.J.
    He used a Jazz bass with flats.
    Love his playing on early E.J. albums.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    This should be posted in the underappriciated/under-rated bassists thread thats floating around here somewhere. I'll merge this with it when I have more time.

Much Love
    Mama Cass :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.