1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Understanding send/return loop

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by wilsonn, Jun 2, 2012.

1. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    Trying to get a doubling rig going. Double bass is running through a DTAR Solstice preamp. It does a good job of impedance matching with the Fullcircle pickup. I tried running the output from the preamp to the FX Return on my bass amp (a GK 1001RB). It sounds great. But when I plug my electric bass into the 1001RB, I get no sound from the EB when the preamp is plugged into the FX Return. If I unplug the preamp from the FX return, all returns to normal and the EB works.

So does anyone know what the FX return is doing to the Channel 1 (EB input)? :confused:

2. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    When you plug something into the FX Return, you are bypassing the preamp of the the GK and consequently, anything plugged into it.

You will need some sort of mixer to run the two basses at the same time.

3. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    Thanks!

4. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    A mixer, a passive A + B box, or a bass amp with 2 channels.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    +1
    Outside of the EA Doubler, Acoustic Image, or the little MARKACOUSTIC AH 250, and Genz Benz Shenandoah. What other choices are out there. I hesitated to include a Walter Woods because they are way out of most players reach.

Ric

6. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    On my AI amps/heads, you can use the effects return and the regular input at the same time, and this lets you plug 4 different things into your 2-channel head or 2 into a 1-channel - IOW, not all effects loops work the same.

-S-

7. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB

If your volume needs aren't real high, another smaller/cheaper option you might find on the used market: Dean Markley KAC-60. I got an old one given to me as a thanks for doing a pickup wiring job for a fiddler I know.
    It's a single 12" (or maybe even 10" - haven't looked at it that closely) with two channels, with 1/4" and xlr ins on each one.
    Mine has some power section issues at the moment, otherwise I'd gig with it in a second.
    The Eden Nemesis combo (older silver-face model) I have has a second aux channel also, which if one's using an external preamp would work just fine. I think the newer ones still have this also...
    There are also quite a few smaller amps that have a CD in....I imagine with the proper cable/adapter you'd be able to use that as the DB input (with the external pre).

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I didn't mention that I had a two channel Walter Woods MI-400-8 and a dual channel Walter Woods Ultra.
    So, I have two amps with two channels.

Thanks for coming up with something I hadn't seen though.

Ric