Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

underwood pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by chrismmc, Oct 13, 2004.

1. I recently purchased an Underwood Pickup,it works fine,but the wings and not cut very straight,and there are gaps on the outerpatrs-this is especially bad on the "G" side.where if I were to sand it down until it was level,a very large shim would be requires to hold it in place-so large that I am worried that it may cause problems.The "E" side is not too bad,and can easily be fixed...What should I do?If I leave it,will it cause problems?Should I risk it?Will the thickness of a shim affect the operation of the pickup?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You might try using saxophone reeds, trimmed to fit, as shims. They are slightly tapered; maybe you could find a combination of reeds that would work. Most saxophonists toss out the majority of reeds in a box, just ask for the rejects.

3. Thanks!But will the thickness of the shim affect the sound?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The material used might change the sound a bit, but a better fit with a shim is going likely sound nicer than a bad fit.

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    When I had a problem like that, I had a violin shop glue in a slice of maple and file it flush with the other side of the slot. That's worked well, since the material is the same (except for the glue, of course).

6. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I had a violin shop glue in a slice of maple and file it flush with the other side of the slot

I just did this last night. I cut a chunk of maple of an old bridge (about 1/8" thick) and sanded it down to the proper size, then glued it on the part of the bridge closer to the body. It works fine.

When I use an underwood I leave the g side pu hanging. It tends to sound bigger and more open. Most of the guys I know who use underwoods do this as well.

Kevinlee

7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I had to do this on my old bass. I think I cut the pieces from an old sound post... I don't remember exactly. But it worked fine.
    [​IMG]

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    As with the Bass Max, if the gap is big enough, you can also experiment with other materials (electrical tape, foam, etc) which are softer and which "darken" the sound of the pickup a bit. It's kind of a shot in the dark, but for years I found the best sound I'd ever gotten out of my Bass Max this way.

9. :cool: