1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Underwood with balance pot

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by slobluesine, Mar 9, 2010.

1. slobluesine

slobluesine

Jan 14, 2009
    Chelmsford UK
    anyone done this, helps with the phasing apparently?

2. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I have always used mine with an old MXR 10-band graphic EQ. That's about all I know about that...

3. slobluesine

slobluesine

Jan 14, 2009
    Chelmsford UK
    i get the impression this is more of a hack, pot has to go in between the two Piezo pads?

4. I would not go for it.But be aware about both elements are well balanced on the bridge.Even a little difference beetween them (more or less of pressure) makes a hearable impact to your sound.
    BTW after trying almost every pickup I believe in Underwood ....

5. slobluesine

slobluesine

Jan 14, 2009
    Chelmsford UK
    i find using just the one element on the E side is MUCH better, also recommended is to cut the Underwood in two and use both elements seperately into a mixer?

6. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    If you will just drop one side of the Underwood,,it will work much better,,lots more punch and clarity,,,it depends of the bass which side works best,,most plys seem to favor useing the treble side,,,but I have seen either way,,

7. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    +1 Same way I use mine. It's pretty much the "standard" way alot of Roots, Rockabilly & Country bassists have used the Underwood since way back. Mine sounds best on the G string side also.

8. slobluesine

slobluesine

Jan 14, 2009
    Chelmsford UK
    so, no takers on snipping off the redundant element then? :ninja:

9. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I really wouldn't recommend it. Being one who cannot leave well-enough alone - I tried that with my old Underwood. (snipped off one element)

It worked fine, actually seemed louder - BUT, it also seemed to somehow increase the amount of infrasonic frequencies, boom, finger/hand thump coming through my amp. I ended up not liking it and having to buy another new Underwood. :rollno:

I just let one side hang now, and it sounds good.

10. slobluesine

slobluesine

Jan 14, 2009
    Chelmsford UK
    thx Gearhead, just putting the scissors away, neeeearly did it tho, :eyebrow:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020