Unexpected email - legitimate?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Microbass, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Checking my mail this morning, I found this.
    The address for his snail mail came up with little results on multimap.com (no exact matches: http://multimap.com/map/places.cgi?...=&country=-+choose+country+-&place=ZUBAROWSKY)

think the guy is for real? would be quite interesteing to think our demo is in Russia! :eek: :eyebrow:
  2. The guy's email is also "@inbox.ru" - so i am guessing thats a Russian domain..
  3. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Why not ?

City: SANCT-PETERBURG(St. Peterburg)
    Adress: KURLANDSKA 32-59
    Postal code/ZIP :198020

This guy seems real :D
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd be asking a LOT of questions, if I were you. Unsolicited e-mails, particularly from overseas, are generally very suspicious. There have been so many reports of Internet fraud, that this sounds like another one to me...too many unanswered questions.

Of course, that's my $0.02
  5. A scam was my initial thought; but really.. what is there to scam us out of?

Hardly going to send any merch (of which we don't even have atm) or CDs without being paid first... :meh:
  6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I'd send em the crap, no harm... if he orders a bunch cash up front for sure! At worse your out a few bucks sending the initial cd.
  7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i could be wrong but what keeps him from reproducing your cd and selling it. Do US copyright laws protect your cd there? When i worked for a label we used to send international cds out all the time, usually to mags and stuff so they could review them. I would think youd need to sign some sort of contract for a distro deal though.
  8. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    What keeps them from buying it and reproducing it? Same thing really...
  9. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    My band got onto a Siberian radio station this way. As far as I can tell, that was on the up-and-up. Or, at least, I haven't detected any mass pirating of our very obscure disc abroad. It was cool to claim an international following for a while. I don't see much more risk being pirated from Russia than from North Carolina, really. I'd go for it, just for the sheer heck of it.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Back when I played in a Ska band, I'd get letters and emails like this all the time...South America, Northern Europe, Spain, etc...It's kinda status quo in some tight music scenes in countries that don't have the populations to fuel a large scene...It was mostly just enthusiastic scenesters and harmless fun.

If a bunch of people in a small city (or large for that matter) across the world wanted to dub off a bunch of copies of one of my CD's I'd be OK with it. I mean, it's not a market you'd likely be able to 'exploit' anyway...and you're spreading your music well beyond the geographic boundries that are normally in place.

I was in an industrial band back in the very early 90's, and we were 'big in Belgium' for about a month. Kinda neat.
  11. I was doing a pop/rock thing mid 90's that some guy who was ostensibly a DJ in some former Eastern European country sent us emails telling us he was spinning the hell outta our disc.
  12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The company owner here got porked pretty good
    by a guy he got friendly with in St. Pete. It's a nasty
    part of the world, and the people there make a living any
    way they can. Hustles and scams on foreigners are all
    part of the scene. I told him so, but he didn't listen
    to me. Too bad for him.

Take a pass.