unlabeled bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mrmann, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mrmann

mrmann

Feb 8, 2009
    Tromsö, Norway
    Yo,

I got this small (somewhere inbetween 1/2 and 5/8) instrument last spring, in a godawful condition - it was worm-eaten and all - from an aspiring psychobilly bass chick who never got around to play it. (She was a pro bootmaker, which is cool enough anyway.)
    Spent some $5k on it for repairs, without really knowing anything about it. It turned out to be a nice little bass, sounding good for being so small. Think I'll smack some plain gut onto it and use it as a baroque bass once a year or whenever I get the opportunty. It looks very similar to the Halbbass Dalla Torre tries out on http://www.silviodallatorre.com/index.php?language=en&hauptrubrik=bassetto&ebene=2&thema=176, but with lower shoulders. I thought I should post some pics before, mid-restoration, and after. Anyone has any guesses on what it really is? Two luthiers have agreed that it could be about 200 years of age, which would coincide with those Halbbass/Arperggione experiments that was going on back then, but it might as well be some cheap shop bass from the 30's that's just gotten some ill treatment for all I know. Another guess would be that it is a Bohemian folk bass that was used as a band instrument, probably in some strange tuning. One of the luthiers suggested Austria, too. I'm clueless; the bass itself is very contradictory, as the table is rather nicely made but the scroll suggests that it's built by anything else than a master luthier.
    Anyways, bring out you magnifying glasses, and all knowledge you have and tell me what I just spent 6 grands on.

Attached Files:

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    You should send your inquiry to Ken Smith for his opinion at smithbassforums.com. You'll need more pictures of every inch of the bass.

3. mrmann

mrmann

Feb 8, 2009
    Tromsö, Norway
    That was before restoration. This was during or after. It's not me on that pic; in lack of a better one I had to include a friend of mine there. He looks good, though! :smug:

Attached Files:

4. mrmann

mrmann

Feb 8, 2009
    Tromsö, Norway
    Ah, yes, of course he has his own forum...

5. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Got any pics?

6. mrmann

mrmann

Feb 8, 2009
    Tromsö, Norway
    No, but she looked damn good, despite having hung around in Seattle in 1992!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021