1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unofficial weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, May 12, 2006.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey all, I've seen quite a few people here lately have successufully lost weight, as did I a year or so, and some others thinking about taking up the challenge. I thought instead of having a bunch of separate "me" threads, how about one big and current thread for everyone who is involved in this?

Well, I have been "off" the diet for about a year now, and have somewhat reasonably maintained my results! Don't get me wrong, I've gained a few back, but still fit into my "skinny clothes".....albeit a little tighter these days. So, I've decided to get back on the trail about a week ago. I was originally within 6 pounds of my original goal when I started, which was at the time (I thought) totally unrealistic, and unattainable. So, back on the road I go......lost 6 pounds this week already.

Anyone else?

2. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Nothing too interesting... I'm down 37 lbs since January 1. I actually stopped counting calories about 6 weeks ago, and I'm still dropping. I've just devolped better eating habits. I still have about 40 to go before I'm happy, but I'm well on the way.

3. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    BTW, here is how I appeared in January 05 when I decided to do something about it. Toasted was right.........damn I was a fat ass!

[​IMG]

4. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    results 4 months, 60 pounds later..........

[​IMG]

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Alright, so how did you do it? I would like to be back to 175. I weigh about 205 right now. I don't want to get too low, because I have a pretty muscular frame, but it has too much padding on it.

6. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Me? I just ate less....actually a lot less. About 1000 calories a day, tons of water, and more movement than I was used to doing at the time.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    For all the guys who have dropped a good amount of weight, what are you doing with the extra skin?

-Mike

8. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've heard of people having problems with it, but I never noticed anything abnormal. Maybe I wasn't quite big enough lol.

9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks! In Memoriam

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I don't have a problem with extra skin. It's just a little baggy on my inner thighs. I lost 71lbs. when I was first diagnosed with cancer. Between the nausea and the hospital food that did it for me. I gained 20 back and I'm loosing it again recently because the radiation treatments have made my appetite next to nothing.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

10. This is usually only a problem if you have gone from totally huge to small, because when totally huge the elastic like fibers within the skin can be broken, thats why there is often hanging skin

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I dropped 60lbs a few years ago. I recently gained 13 back, but am back on the diet, and have dropped 5 of that.

Before[​IMG]

After[​IMG]

12. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I lost 80 lbs. and my extra skin just kind of went away. That's probably because I'm young, though.

Though since I'm joining the Navy now, I'm trying to gain weight back in muscle. 6'2" and 160lbs. is a bit frail for boot camp.

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I officially started last week and am still in the process of coming up with an effective regimen and diet. But, my starting point was 201, and now, I'm around 197. My goal is to be down to 175 by the end of summer.

14. this is why medical mj should be legalized...:scowl:

I recently became a vegetarian to lose weight. I'm not really doing much exercise, but I'm not in a big hurry to lose weight. I hope to lose at least 15lbs. by the end of the summer.

15. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I did 205 to 175 before. Basically I just started playing active sports (lacrosse), working out every other day, eating less fried food, and drinking mostly water.

Since the season started going downhill (we were 1-15...) I became a little apathetic, and I've put on some weight, but starting next week I'm going to one soda a day, and working out everyday.

16. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I cannot say I went on a "diet" so to speak, but I have dropped at least 20 pounds and maybe now 25. I just started exercising the hell out of myself. I run between 2 to 6 miles every other day or more. I try to get in between 20 and 60 minutes of cardio a day. SOmetimes, it's as low as 20 minutes on the treadmill (About 2.3 miles) or as much as 45 minutes on the treadmill (5 plus miles) and some biking and stair climbing. I feel pretty damn good. Granted, I don't eat pizza every week like i used to and I try to eat healthy lunches. I can tell my stomach is shrinking because sometimes at night, I am not hungry at all, so I don't eat. I used to eat constantly.

I probably weigh between 200 and 205. I was 230. I haven't weighed myself in a month, and I'd be shocked if I was below 200. My goal is 180 and to slim my stomach area by a few more inches. It might take a full 6 months or year to do it.

Sometimes, it is real hard to motivate myself to do anything, like today, but as soon as I get the slightest spark to do it (usually, I think of my hot girlfriend) and I get on the treadmill. 20 minutes on that thing does wonders for me on off days. When I go to the gym, that's when I get in longer workouts and really push myself.

Wish me luck. I truly believe I am in the routine now!

17. i started out 1/1/05 at 270+ with the mindset of losin 50 lbs in 05. well missed it by 4 lbs. failed. but heres how i did it. i love my pepsi. use to drink 2 litres just at supper plus all the other pepsis through the rest of the day. well i gave up pepsi to only 12oz. on sunday. i ate all the same old stuff but smaller portions. i walked 3 miles a day and the weight started comin off. it got to the point where i wasnt losing anymore so i joined a sports club in 04/06 and work with a trainer. i started losin again. my ultimate goal is 180lbs. dr. said with my frame dont go below that. hopefully by the end of the year i will lose the 40lbs and make my goal. so it can be done yall. just dont give up. it aint a diet, its a change of life. good luck to all of us.

mike

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I've scaled off lot of junk food, eliminated a lot of sweets, cut back on others. Although I haven't lost any weight, I have taken inches off my waistline (just got a smaller belt last night). Depending on the cut, my waist is 36-38 from a max of 40. I think I just need to get a little more active if I want to lose the pounds. I'm at 245 now, but would like to cut 20-30 pounds.

19. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I start to eat better also. I went from 272 to 248. Still have about 50lbs to loose.

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Kudos.