Unorthodox rigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by overamplified, May 26, 2004.

1. overamplified

overamplified Banned

May 26, 2004
    Does anybody here use an unorthodox rig, such as a rig using guitar speakers or guitar amps, etc?

My rig consists of a Fender BXR100 (sweet lil amp) driving the lows, and using my bassman 135 through a Mesa/Boogie 1x12. For practice, this is perfect, and almost nails the JE sound. When I start gigging, i'll likely upgrade. But for now I'm in tonal heaven.
  2. Ox? you sure that mesas speaker is 12''? :D
  3. overamplified

overamplified Banned

May 26, 2004
    Let's not get off topic! :mad:
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I guess that answers Woofenstein's question from the punchiest cabinet thread :D :D :D

To answer your question, I don't as a general rule...but I certainly could. I've been stocking up on stuff like guitar 4x12s, have a Lee Jackson designed Ampeg guitar head and could create a lot of Sonic Bombast!

I've often wondered how a biamped rig with Big Bens for the bottom and Marshall 4x12s for the top would sound.

Did you have any specific questions?

Then there's this guy who ran an Acoustic 361 and an Acoustic guitar amp in the '70s. I don't know him, but I get a kick out of that photo.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Imagine if I connected the two 1x15s and other 2x10 (that are in storage) to the bass rig end and had all this going at once...
  6. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses

Sounds like I could open the window to my hotel room here in Las Vegas and I'd hear it just fine. After all, it's only 1500 miles... ;)

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i play through aluminum cone hartke guitar cabs - 4x12" - and yahama 1x18" pa subs. :hyper:
  8. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Zing!!! :D :bassist:
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've been messing around with a guitar modeler unit, the Boss GX-700, for a few months now, using it as my preamp. It's great for inducing feedback, and other ugly effects. I have lots of tube guitar gear around that gets occasional use in my bass rig.

Not really unorthodox, but I do the "strereo EFX plus dry" deal pretty often too. One of the EFX speakers is an old EV SRO, which is a classic guitar speaker.
  10. I guess my first "big" rig was sort of unorthodx...hahaha!
    It was a Peavy Mk IV head with a 1970's model Fender 212 guitar cab (tall rectangular looking thing w/silver grille cloth) and under that sat my Cerwin Vega 18" bass bin which was supposed to be a PA bin but sounded freekin great w/ my rig!
    Ugliest most frankenstein looking setup Ive ever had, but perhaps one of the best sounding!
  11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Spanky...sounds like you have a Fender Bandmaster cabinet. I don't have the dimensions at hand but its basically big enough to be a 2x15 buy has two 12s in it...correct?

Sounds like a cool rig...I'm a non-conformist at heart and love stuff like that!!!
  12. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I practice at home through a Fender J.A.M. guitar combo amp.It has a preamp out/poweramp in so I can bypass the preamp and plug my bass straight into the poweramp or use a bass preamp with it.The guitar preamp on the amp doesn't sound bad though.....
  13. a time long, long ago, my biamp rig consisted of a Sunn Concert head, Sunn 215RH cab for the lows, a Radio Shack 10 band graphic EQ that doubled as a crossover, and a Fender Twin for the highs. The thing actually sounded very good and could compete with most anything my guitarists had.

Even now, I haven't given up on the unorthodox rig. I've got a 600w biamp setup using a Pyramid PBS446 12v car audio amp with a Pyramid 12v regulated power supply. Cheapest 600 watts of clean power you can buy. Half of the amp drives the lows and the other half the highs. My signal path is a Yamaha PB-1 preamp/crossover - Alesis 3630 compressor - Carvin 2x10 and a Peavey 1x15 (Gauss). Yep, I'm reveling in the past!

Save the flames for someone that cares guys. This is a tinkerers rig - not suitable for children under the age of 30, brand snobs, tech school marms, tube junkies, or the incontinent. :D
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Hambone...did you run the Twin clean or dirty?

I wonder how may folks here use Gauss's not a name that I see much any more.
  15. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
  16. Clean - at the time, the only tone I wanted to replicate was Andy West's from the Dixie Dregs. Unfortunately my Fender P was never going to sound like an Alembic Series 1. :rolleyes:
  17. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    And where exactly on the site is it? Cant seem to find it. :help: ;)
  18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hmmmm..... for a while when I first started out playing the bass I was using a McIntosh MC-2105 stereo amp as my main power amp. That's one of the ones with those humongous auto-transformers. It must have weighed at least a hundred pounds. I was running that into a pair of 15" SRO's mounted in an old Vox tilt-back cab. I use guitar amps in the studio all the time, to record bass tracks. I use a Twin Reverb primarily, and also once in a while a Marshall Major. But I always use some good Bag End speakers with those amps. Those dinky guitar speakers don't usually like low frequencies at high power.
  19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my rig in the 80's was a Kustom powered (100watt) 4x12 tuck&roll loaded with EV drivers and a Yamaha 1x18 sub driven with a Carvin PB300

I used a Gauss 15 in my Ampeg fliptop
  20. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Oops, guess Amy doesn't have the rig posted on the site, but she's using 3 way rig consisting of a SWR SM-900 through an Henry the 8X8 for the main bass, then a Mesa Dual Rectifier halfstack for the "guitar" sound, and a SWR Redhead combo for the effects