Unravelling Flatwound String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by E_strat, Jun 21, 2017.

1. E_strat

E_strat Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Hi folks!

Today my set of La Bella 760FL's came in the mail, and I have been super excited to try these. However, to my dismay, as I began turning the tuning peg, the E string became unravelled at the bridge. There was definitely no saving it.

I am very disappointed, especially with how expensive these were (for a college kid anyway), and for how excited I was to get my hands on them. I sent La Bella an email, and hopefully I hear back soon, considering I have a gig this weekend and don't really want to buy a whole new set. I really don't want to waste the other three strings in the set either, although now I am slightly paranoid. I followed proper stringing procedures/technique.

I really don't want to knock La Bella either. I've heard nothing but good things about them and genuinely want to try their product. Hopefully this will just be a one-time thing

Is this a common occurrence with flatwounds though?

Thanks!

2. Just to make sure, you didn't try stringing them thru-body, did you?

3. E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, I did string thru-body. I have a USA jazz bass with one of the thru-body and back-load bridges. Too much of an angle with the thru-body perhaps? I'm not a frequent flatwound user but have strung flats through the body before.

4. La Bella flats do come with explicit instructions against thru-body installation, unless they're the specific "thru-body" version. In your case, you should have the "760FL-TB" (TB for thru-body).

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You must order the thru body set. The A D G strings from your set can still be used, you just need a thru body e String single to salvage the set.

6. E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Ouch, I guess I was too excited and went straight to stringing it up. Thankfully I haven't put on the rest of the set. I'll string through the back of the bridge next time.

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    You won't be first person to do it man :) ya didn't know

E_strat likes this.
  8. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Just curious why you strung (strang, stringed...) through body? Are you convinced that you get some benefit? I've played bass since 1965 and have never heard a cogent argument that through-body offers a real benefit.

9. Two benefits of thru-body stringing:
    1. Reduces the stress on the screws holding the bridge in place by having the pulling weight of the strings on the body itself.
    2. Keeps the ferrules from falling out. (I almost lost two of them on my Am Std P. ;))
    Otherwise, it does NOT make your bass sound better or help you play better. :D

10. I string tru-bridge all my Am Std Bass instead of going through the body as I also use LaBella flats. On my 1996 PBass I had to change the bent plate as there was no holes to string through the bridge. I actually feel it has less sustain but more attack which is what I expect from a vintage sounding bass anyway.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  11. E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Interesting, I checked the packaging and there were no instructions stating that they could not be strung through the body.

12. It's on their website: 760FL Deep Talkin' Bass Flats - Light 43-104 | La Bella Strings

"This particular set is NOT suitable for basses with bridges that require strings to pass through the body of the instrument. Please refer to our “Thru-Body” Flat Wound sets (e.g. 760FX-TB) for through-body instruments"​

13. Interesting to know. I've got DiAddario chromes on a few body throughs with out any issues. I thought about trying Labellas at one point. I'm glad I didn't until I heard about this. I would have probably had the same issue

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Are d'Addario chromes the same exact construction as la bella deep talking? No... They are very different and more flexible...

La Bella have no problem going thru body if you order the correct set. They make sets specifically for thru body stringing and they are available through select resellers.

15. I wasn't dissing Labellas, they are still on my try them list, it was more like, "whew, I'm glad I heard this before I got a set so I will string them through the back instead of through the body." If I try them on my '55 p replica with the string through body, I will make sure I order the righ ones.

Another brand I'd like to try are TI. Are they the same way? Just curious. I'm a novice to the world of flats.

E_strat likes this.
  16. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Only ones are Sadowsky. They do not make a thru body version.

Any other flats besides la Bella as long as they are the correct length are fine stringing thru body.

JGbassman likes this.
  17. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    They should print the warning on the package too if they don't already IMO.

18. E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    I wasn't entirely sure if they got my email last week, so I called La Bella today and they were very pleasant! They too warned of the hazards of thru-body stringing with that specific set, but were kind enough to send me an E string free of charge! :)

19. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Reading this thread makes me worried about La Bella Schecter Hellcat VI Flatwould string set that I ordered and currently on its way from @SLaPiNFuNK, cause I intended to use these strings on my Ibanez SRC6 which has thru body stringing only.

20. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Different String Constitution...

I think the Ibanez night require the longer fender bass VI version. Really will need to measure I don't remember the specific model.

If you can, hold the removed String up to the new to make sure the full Winding on the lowest String won't wrap around the post.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021