Unravelling Flatwound String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by E_strat, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    N̶o̶,̶ the Ibanez SRC6 c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ might take Bass VI strings, but the larger wound part of the low E string would reach and be wound on the string tuning post.

The measurements are:
    t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶E̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶e̶n̶g̶t̶h̶ ̶(̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶)̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶3̶4̶.̶2̶"̶,̶
    distance from the ball end until just pass the nut is 32.5",
    distance from the ball end until just before the tuning post is 34.25".

I don't know what brand the factory strings are. The tag tied on the headstock when I first unboxed my SRC6 says Elixir. But it appeared that there are no such kind of strings when I checked Elixir's website. The gauges mentioned on Ibanez site are .024/.034/.044/.056/.072/.084 which appears to be the same as D'Addario EXL156 Bass VI string set. But when I took off mine, the ball ends (small standard guitar ball end size, not bass ball end size) aren't colored, so I concluded that they might not be D'Addarios.

The reason I ordered the Hellcat VI string set from you, is because on an older post you mentioned that it has 32.75" winding length. So, this should fit. On the same post you also mentioned Fender Bass VI has 36" winding length, so this would be too long for the SRC6.

But the issue that got me worried is the unraveling thing discussed in this thread... since Hellcat Bass VI doesn't have string thru body construction, but the SRC6 has. So, I worried that La Bella Flatwound for Hellcat Bass VI strings that I had ordered from you were not constructed to withstand this thru body stringing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    They will work thru body. Then we should be good with those lengths!

HaphAsSard likes this.
  3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    report...

seems that La Bella Hellcat Flatwound HC-6 that I got from @SLaPiNFuNK work with Ibanez SRC6 thru body stringing.

Just strung the low E string only:

IMG_20170718_1833598.jpg

And the winding length is also perfect:

img_20170718_1833483-jpg.jpg

SLaPiNFuNK and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021