1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unwanted string vibration

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gbarcus, Sep 24, 2008.

1. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    I have a cheap ($120.00) bolt on Douglas 6 string bass that I refinished the top just for the fun of it, however when I play on the A-C strings, the B and E strings start to vibrate...most annoying. I have DR TMR6-30 Tapered 30,45,65,105,125 strings that replaced the factory strings.
    Now, on my StringRay5, with the same amp in the same room it does not happen.

Could this be due to the strings? Or is it just due to the poor design/craftsmanship?
    One thing I noted, is that it has a basswood body which is relatively soft wood.
    In refinishing this bass, I sanded off the lacquer and put a walnut veneer on it. I then coated it with tung oil.
    This gives it a softer body in which the bridge attaches to.
    Any help on this is much appreciated.

2. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    I have a Douglas 6 as well. I love it, but some strings will vibrate when playing the others, unless you control the vibration.

I now use a floating right hand technique, so that the back of my thumb mutes the big strings while I'm playing the little guys. If you just anchor your thumb on the pickup cover, there is no way I can figure out how to keep that many strings from ringing when you don't want them to.

oyo

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Right. One of the first orders of business with a 6 string bass is teaching all those strings to behave. ;)

Peace & Music,
    Joe

4. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Thanks for your reply's. Yeah, bang for buck, this bass has a pretty good sound. I am thinking of upgrading the pickups to some Bartolini J style and maybe a Bartolini 5.4 A/P preamp. But then the pickups alone would cost more than the bass...hmmmm...:eyebrow:
    Here are some pics when I was refinishing it.
    I found some nice walnut burl on eBay.

Attached Files:

5. Maybe the pickups were just too close to the strings?

6. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    Seems like it will be an amazing looking bass from the pics so far.

For me and my amp, the tone of my Douglas is great stock, right out of the box. The sweet spot seems to be both PU volumes equal, with the treble tuned up to 75-90% and the bass flat. it just sings!

oyo

7. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    I raised my action a bit and it did 2 things.
    1. It simmered the whole vibration thing down quite a bit.
    2. I also got less distortion from my B and E strings.
    Thanks for your suggestion!

8. +1 muting strings that you aren't playing is quite difficult on a 6 string, and even causes some 5 string players problems.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I got an idea from someone at a GTG - put a hair tie across the nut. This allows the strings you pluck to play freely but quells the vibes of strings you're not playing a bit. Works great on my six string basses.

10. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Here is the finished bass. Turned out pretty good.
    aIMG_5065.

11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    AWESOME !!! :bassist: