Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upcoming gig as a drummer

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    A friend of a friend wants an old band I was in to play at for her upcoming birthday party. All of us in the band are still very good friends and see each other regularly, but we have not played together in this form for quite sometime. I started my musical life with this band as a drummer but after leaving concentrated on bass. I was given a set list from the old days and the most current song on it was "The authority song." It has been so long since I played drums I am afraid I will explode/implode before we make it through the night. In the old days we had a gig in this dive where we played from 9 to 4 wide open the whole time(without repeating songs.) Now I am praying I can make it through a couple of sets!

2. but unfortunately, when you lay off playing drums, your chops really can go to poop.

if the gig's, like -- tomorrow -- i'd focus on just having fun, and accepting that you may not be a shining example of great drumming. but if you have some time, go shed a bit, and get in some rehearsals with the other guys.

if you have a metronome like the boss Dr. Beat, play some grooves until you feel rock solid. also, you might want to select more mid-tempo tunes toward the beginning part of the set, so you can be nice and warm mid-way through for the rockers.

i would definitely make the time to practice, especially if your friend is going to pay you for your time. if not, just have fun with it.

and don't forget the

ba-dum CRASH! when someone in the band makes a joke.

:p

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Listen to the songs, get the changes down in the songs. Play at a consistant tempo and look like you having fun. And don't get mad at the bass player... remember when you started playing bass when you would get mad at the drummers...I still do!

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    just don't make any mistakes.
    That's all you gotta do!:)

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We had the chance to practice last night and most of it came back, but playing very fast songs like "What's he got?" by the Producers proved to be somewhat of a challenge. Feeling it this morning!

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Listen to the songs, get the changes down in the songs. Play at a consistant tempo and look like you having fun. And don't get mad at the bass player... remember when you started playing bass when you would get mad at the drummers...I still do!

A few times during the night the bassist would do some fill up the neck and leave me hanging out there by myself. I thought to myself "oh my god, do I do that?" It really hit home about what my resposiblities are as a bass player.

7. Remember, it's all about twirling your sitcks and playing solos.;)

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    A few times during the night the bassist would do some fill up the neck and leave me hanging out there by myself. I thought to myself "oh my god, do I do that?" It really hit home about what my resposiblities are as a bass player. [/B][/QUOTE]

Now your in drummer mode.... when I play drums I don't care if the bassist breaks out with Portriat or Tracy, I am still keeping my beat and tempo. If you feel he's leaving you hanging you must be following him to a certian extent. You need to be consious of what they are doing but during a solo or bass run you need to lay it down the same way you do on bass during a guitar solo. You said it really hit home about your responsibilities as a bass player, but what I think you discovered is the responsibilty of a drummer and how the rythym section plays off each other. Isn't it awesome!!!:bassist:

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    BAND MANAGEMENT AND PERFORMANCE

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Nah, he would be fooling around during a part of the song that is straight forward. It sounds like he leaves the room when that happens.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

I get it, tell him to cut it out..

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Whens the gig?

13. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The 24th. I will post a report on the level of suckage/brilliance.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Brillance my friend, rememebr you also play bass so drums are no sweat.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I still haven't forgot, let us know how it goes good luck!!!!

16. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Here is my game plan. I will be using a 4 piece kit (less stuff to swing at.) I will make the kit as compact as possible. Being that I am now 40, married, not so thin ,and not hunky I don't have to worry about looking cool. The most important part is that I am going to concentrate on staying in the pocket more than anything. Substance over style. Oh, and I won't be drinking this time!

17. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Overall the gig went great. We were doing a private party at this funky eatery/club (sort of like the Florabama.) We were able to maintain a high energy level all night and the crowd was into it. The club mgmt. dug it and asked us to play for them. Not bad for some old farts.

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It's all about the pocket!