1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

UPDATE: I played the Music as a Weapon tour...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nightcityburn, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I had a previous thread asking for advice since I was playing the Music As A Weapon tour, and here is an update.

It will be long, but informative.

We played with Suicide Silence on the Thursday before. They were nice guys and were playing shows on off dates to help make extra money. Nice dudes, they let us know the stage was a free stage for anyone who wanted to come, and was outdoors. Super legit, and I think a great way to give us, the smaller bands, some exposure.

We had our backline provided to us, so all we needed were our heads and guitars, and our drummer brought his own kit. Again, super legit.

We were told to arrive early, and find Rob the 2nd stage manager. We were lucky, our drummer's grandpa owned a 35 foot RV bus, which we took. Super legit. Parked with all the touring bands, again super legit. We looked like pros.

We were the first band to arrive, which meant we were the last of the locals, i.e. playing right before the touring bands. Super nice, we received 5 passes granting us backstage access to the second stage and entrance to and from the show. We were given 2 more for being early, which weant to our roadie and our drummer's dad.

Waiting sucked, but we went and got lunch, and then chilled out. Watched the first band, Dude Wheres My Corpse. They were from Jacksonville, and I felt bad for them. Its always hard to warm up the crowd.

Then came Nu Metal-ish band looking, speed metal sounding, Skin Dustry. They didn't listen and were kicked off before the last song they played for cussing on stage. Several times they were told not to, but refused to listen and had the mics cut. This is a Florida rule that can result in you being fined and taken to jail, not MAWIV rule, sucks I know.

Then it was our chance, we came, set up our gear and soundchecked. I actually wasn't nervous, even though I thought I would be. The sound techs were super nice guys that really helped out with making things sound great on both ends. We played to somewhere between 700 and 1000 people, which was huge to us. Big energy from both us and the crowd, which was amazing.

Leaving the stage was hard, as it was hot, and I was out of breath. I packed up my gear and took it side stage where people kept asking for autographs as we loaded out. So weird to me, but nice. We mingled as our drummer tore down and packed up his set, and we loaded back into our bus.

We watched the rest of the bands who gave us compliments and apparently the drummer of Disturbed said we had a lot going for us. That is cool, even if I am not down with the sickness.

We watched the rest of the bands and the show in the arena. Killswitch was amazing and then left for the drive back to Jacksonville.

Experience was an A+.

Any questions, comments, or concerns will be fielded here.

My bands' myspace is"

www.myspace.com/wingsofvictory

2. That's awesome. I think every player should have one experience like that before calling it quits. I'm glad you got yours.

I got to play a show at a house of blues outdoor ampitheater opening for the largest local band in Cleveland, who drew about 8-10,000 people to the show. We won a battle of the bands to get the slot (and actually judged fairly by a panel vs the usual b.s. crowd response) and the whole thing still sticks in my mind like it was yesterday. We got union stage hands who did everything for us except plug in our cabinets, catering by an awesome local restaurant, free video games, used the same chill lounges as the national acts, had access to showers, pretty much everything you could ever want. Sold tons of merchandise. Played to over 2,000 at our set time, who went absolutely nuts because we already had good name recognition. Even though the whole event was soured by our singer dropping his pants at the end of the set causing the breakup of the band on the cusp of our finally getting our "big break" it will always remain burned in my memory as the best show ever. My only regret- i lost the 4 track recording of it! :(

3. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    super cool! i love it whenever someone is satisfied with their experience. really glad it went well!

4. Yeah, I was worried that we would leave regretting the effort spent on playing it, but it was hardly that. We actually smiled and all looked at eachother knowing this is what we want to do.

5. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Glad it was a good experience for you.

And Skindustry is not numetal, they're more thrash/speed metal.

6. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i def. just friended you on myspace

feel special

feel very special

7. Thanks, I appreciate it. We are working on getting new songs together. I think we will test out my friend's studio at the end of the month.

8. Fixed.

9. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Wait, you can't cuss on stage in Florida? I thought they were part of America!! Apparently not...That's so much B#%L SH*T. Wait, you can't cuss on TB?!? Grrrr....

10. Yeah, it falls under public decency or something. I don't know, but every year at warped tour they post signs all over the place to give warning to bands.

Suicide Silence's vocalist tested the rule and earned a $2000 fine. Sucks.

11. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Manson got hit for it a number of times, though I am pretty sure that it is a county thing, not a state thing - Gainesville (my hometown) hosts a semiregular music festival which contains lots of cussing, the Alachua (County) Music Harvest.

12. I truly think it is an enforcement thing, but maybe you are right. It just all depends on how big of jerks the city wants to come off as.

13. Sounds cool man. A band that's friends with my band is playing that tour when they come through Des Moines.

Also, listened to your tunes. Good stuff, really good. I just added you guys on my band's myspace.

14. Thanks, we are reworking those songs, and changing them around, as well as writing new tunes.

The band has amazing potential.

Tell your friends band to arrive as early as possible, they will earn the best time slot. Worth it.

15. $2,000.00 YIKES. Man I must be getting OLD, I remember when it was "only" $750.00. Well anyway, KUDOS my fellow Florida bassist. Man it is so refreshing to read a positive post on here for a change.

16. Ha ha, i am just being honest in my explanation of things. If it was a bad experience, I would have said just that.

17. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    my band played with Suicide Silence back a couple years ago (with Dead To Fall and Stick To Your Guns)... they were totally legit.. and very solid too (saw JFAC a couple weeks before and was NOT impressed at all)

anyways..
    swearing rule in FL?
    i was just down there about a month ago on tour... and didn't hear anything about that...
    personally, my band doesn't swear on stage, but that's STILL a lame rule.

[spunj13]

18. the_mathinator

the_mathinator

Mar 22, 2009
    orlando
    i was there in the crowd. you guys were really good. sucks that more of the crowd hadn't shown up when you went on. and whoever was on sound cut out almost all of the bass in the mix or just put too much on the guitars. but all in all it was a great show.

19. Yeah, but what else is new in the sound world. Glad to know you enjoyed the show, we still played to our biggest crowd yet. I wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

20. Oh it's been around here in Fl. for a LONG time, It is pretty much governed on a county by county basis. Here in Broward Co. it used to be $750.00, not sure what it is now, the band I am in now is pretty clean. Miami/Dade co. are really strict, perhaps you remember hearing about "Luke Skywalker and the 2 Live Crew"? It was all over the news. They will kill your power, arrest the band, charge you with " Lewd and Lascivious" and fine that @SS.Obviously it depends on the venue and how interested the police are in enforcing the law. Heck in Palm Beach Co. Fl. they even have an ordinance against over sized/baggy pants , So you hip hoppers beware!!!