Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upgrade Ampeg BA115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Mar 12, 2004.

1. i haven't bought an ampeg BA 115 yet, cuz i was wondering if i should save up a couple more hundred for something alittle more powerful.
    i want to stick with ampeg, maybe a BA115HP or BA210SP?? (the HP and SP are both 220 watts right?)
    or is there something else i should get?

2. Well, every combo in the BA series (minus the BA500 which I don't believe is in stores yet) does not have an extenspeaker output. This means that while you are getting the most out of the amp in combo form, you can never add more speakers to it. I for one think you'd be much better going with a head/cab setup...maybe start off with a nice 350 - 600 watt head and a nice 2x10 cab. You can add another 2x10 or 1x15 to it later for more volume, and the initial 2x10 + head will likely sound better then anything you'll find in combo form. If you must have a combo, by all means buy one that can power another cab - you won't be as limited in the future!

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Very good points from woofenstein. I have the BA115HP combo and its a nice combo, but if I need volume I have an SVT Pro3 head and PR410. If the combo had the ability to power an extension cab it would be great, but it does have a line out which can plug you into the PA if, and that is a big if, the pa can handle bass.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    How much of a pain in the butt is it, to add an extension speaker outlet to one of these amps? These amps already run at 4ohms, so adding an extention speaker port adds to the existing output is not desirable.

I was thinking an output jack, that'll supercede the existing speaker.

I'm thinking about this, because I have a BA115SP, & want to upgrade. Doing this would let me just add the cab, & then get a head a bit later. That cab I'm considering is a 4ohm Avatar B212 or a 4ohm Dr Bass 212.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    ReBump...

6. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    I would wait for the BA500 to be available if i were you... Seems to be a great combo !!

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm trying to phase out my combo, & transition to a head/cab, or power/pre/cab setup... I thought I stated that.