Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrade from Windows ME to XP?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by berklee46, Sep 24, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Has anyone here done it? Any regrets?

I've got the XP software, but am gun-shy about installing it since I can't go back once I do...

Thanks

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Wait till you see what happened to the wordprocessing package.........that's GONE.

It's okay, IMO. I just don't like all these software designers making assumptions about what I want.

At least it freezes much less frequently.....and I use a high-speed cable connection.

3. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    So you'd recommend taking the plunge?

4. rickbass

Yeah, it's definitely more geared to internet use as opposed to what PC's had to be concerned with previously - offline functions.

Some of the really tech-savvy giants here like JMX, notduane, and John Turner, among others, could really give you much better answers.

I'm just a recreational user. Those people fully understand what's really going on.

All I know is my PC doesn't freeze as it used to. WindowsME is considered "the Edsel" of operating systems.

5. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Microsoft quite all support for ME shortly after it's release. In fact, they were still providing software updates to Win98 long after they quite supporting ME.

In upgrading from ME to XP, the transition should be pretty painless. I would suggest doing a full install of XP and not just the upgrade. Cleaning meaning, fdisk (format) your drive, and install XP on a clean drive.

I would also check into compatibility issues with your current system and how well it will be in accepting of XP. I have installed XP on several computers, the oldest being a Compaq Prosignia, PII, 600 mhz with 384mb's of ram. I've had win98SE, ME, 2000 Pro, and XP Pro installed on this particular machine, and XP runs the smoothest and fastest. The main concern seems to be that you have 128mb's of ram or greater.

There should be a compatibility program that you can run from Microsofts website to have it scan your current hardware/software to see if there would be any conflicts.

Also, is this machine part of a home/business network? If so, make sure you get the Pro Edition if your logging into a domain (home edition does not support Domain logins), and unless you plan on installing XP on all the machines, stay away from formating your Drive using NTFS. Although, IMO, NTFS is a superior File system then Fat32, Operating Systems other than NT based systems won't be able to access files on a drive that's formated NTFS. In that case, I would stick with a Fat32 format.

On a side note, if I were a god, and Microsoft was the only software manufacturer....I would make sure that XP was installed on every single PC in the world for it's speed and reliability. Lets just hope that all the security holes are finally patched up. :)

Good luck.

6. I upgraded my whole computer system last Spring, including changing from ME to XP. I've hardly had a freeze up since and am pleased with the Windows XP. I'm using Windows XP professional version, not the home version. I can't say for sure if the home version works as well, but I'd like to assume so. Anyway, one thing to be aware of in advance of making the switch is that files backed up under MSBackup of Windows ME won't be recognized by the backup program that is included with XP, and the old MSBackup won't work on XP either. However, if you're using a third party backup program (e.g. Backup NOW) you shouldn't have a problem. If you are using the Microsoft programs for your backups, before you make the system change you can make file copies (not backups) direct to a floppy or a CD and then copy them out onto the new system afterwards. Also, check on the Microsoft website. I believe they now have a conversion program available to retrieve your files from the old system and then you can run them out onto the new system. The name of the Microsoft conversion program escapes me at the moment, but if you do a search at Microsoft, I believe you'll find help. Anyway, look into this before you make the system change to save yourself a big hassle.

7. for the sake of humanity, upgrade!!

or better yet do a clean install. (just remember to back up your files before, if that's possible)

Windows ME is actually the worst thing that's microsoft has published (and that's pretty bad ;)).

anyway, XP is far more stable and should work if you've got a computer with more than 500 mhz and 128mb ram(at least for pro edition). I _have_ installed XP Pro successfully on some pretty old computers, a 400 mhz with 384mb ram, that worked amazingly smooth, and a 266mhz 64mb ram laptop... it worked, in theory, but was SLOW. :)

so, to make a long story short; upgrade.

8. No.

No, no, no.

*Never* upgrade a Microsoft OS. Clean install or wait until you can. The_Bass has the right idea.

If you purchased the Windows XP upgrade CD you can still clean install. During the installation if the upgrade CD doesn't find a qualifying product to upgrade it'll ask you for the install media of the qualifying product. All you do is slip in a WinME CD so the installer can verify that you do own a copy of WinME to upgrade and away you go.

It has to be a Win98/98SE/ME/2K CD, though - either OEM, volume license or retail. System restore CDs won't work.

9. if you were God, then why in god's name(pun intended) would you let microsoft rule the software market? :meh: ... I'd rather have everybody use linux, now _that's_ speed and reliability! :)

and security holes in windows(and most other OSes) will NEVER all be fixed.

:cool:

10. Linux? Speed? Now that's funny.

It's fast as hell as long as you don't use a modern window manager :D

11. xp is the first good version of windows in my opinion. ME is probably the worst.

12. Go to the Microsoft website and look for the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 305381 for an explanation as to why MSbackup files from Windows ME cannot be restored under Windows XP.
    On my Windows XP, there is a files and transfer program that you can find by clicking Start, Accessories, System Tools, then Files & Settings Transfer Wizard. I haven't used the program myself, but I believe it can be used to help transfer from ME to XP.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Wow, I thought nobody could beat me in that department. The IT company I worked for use to install XP on 333mhz laptops.

Oh well, I graudated high school in the year 2000, and all of our computers were still running 3.1. :p

14. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Do it. Personally, I can't stand Me. I had it for about a year, it always froze, ran slow, and was just annoying in general.

After I intalled XP, my computer has run so much better.

15. First im going to appologize for not reading the posts above, Im just gona answer the upgrade question. Heres the trip. Microsoft dropped support for ME way too quickly. Mainly because they were discusted with it and wanted nothing to do with it. It was a horrible failure on their part, (Though it smokes Windows 2003 server, but more on that some other time... grumble.. grumble..) So they decided to create windows XP. Windows XP continued their 2000 (Windows NT) line with a powerful OS to tie the 9x line with the NT line. XP was their redemption. I would reccomend if your computer can handle it get XP. It is by far the best OS I have used for home use. Dont confuse that with "Home Edition" because that is a stripped unstable version in my oppinion. Spend the extra money and get yourself a stable Windows XP Professional edition. If your computer is not capable of handling windows XP PRO then downgrade to Windows 98 or get Windows 2000 Professional. Get out of ME though, It's kina like steping in dog crap, and microsoft felt the same way when they dropped ALL support for it. I repair computers on Maui for a living and I tell people this all the time. Granted everyone has their opinion and im sure for basic stuff ME will work fine, but if your looking for a powerful OS that is WORTH the money you put into it Microsoft Windows XP is well worth it. (Or get Linux for free!) :D

Best regards and rock on :bassist:,
    Josh

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i miss my programs. like word,and ppoint... but i refuse to pay $400 for them.

17. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Oh man..., don't even get me started on Unix/OSX.2/Linux RH/MSXP comparisons... This is like one of those "God created Darwin, but Darwin created Evolution" type of discussions. :)

And yes, you are correct...Bill Gates is infact the Anti-Christ!

:bassist:

18. rickbass

What the other guys have been saying is apparently all too true, IME.

I had to pay a tech to wipe my PC clean of WindowsME and get XP Pro installed.

19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    While I'm not exactly a computer expert by any means, I will say that you should do the clean install of XP A.S.A.P. I had nothing but headaches whenever I used ME at my high school freshman year (they changed to NT 2000 after that mess of a year). However, when you get XP, make sure you're getting PRO. We made the mistake of getting the home version when we got a Dell about a year ago. That was a huge mistake. It ran fine normally, but it had so many bugs in it that it was unreal.

Oh well, I'm never getting a PC again. As of a month and half ago, I'm a mac only guy. OSX is the single best thing I've ever used.

20. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks everyone. I have the XP Professional Edition, which seems to be what everyone is recommending, so that's a plus.

If you guys don't mind a few more questions...

If I understand correctly, I'll lose the Microsoft Word, even if I have the Microsoft Office disc?

Also, will I lose every program that I've already got on my machine (Quicken, Kazaa, etc?)

For what it's worth, my machine is a 2 year old Gateway:
    1300 Mhz Processor
    256 MB RAM

Thanks again