Upgrading my Squier P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by boabski2k, Jan 11, 2009.

1. boabski2k

boabski2k Guest

Dec 24, 2008
    Scotland
    What Pups and pots should i use to upgrade my Squier p-bass.

I'm not trying to change the tone too much, but a rockier tone would not be a bad thing.

I am also not looking to spend shed loads on this small project.

Cheers

2. MRuss

MRuss Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    change the pots, to full size cts or whatever pots, the ones in squier are mini, not sure if it really matters. 250k, for a warmer tone, 500k for a brighter tone.

Pickups: Quarter Pounders, Model P's, or Antiquity's

3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I'll second MRuss on recommending the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound for P-bass.

My first bass was the Peavey equivalent of a Squier P. Foundation II was the model I think. They don't make it any more.

I wanted to save up the $$ for my true dream bass, so I did a few cheap upgrades to keep me happy with the Peavey until then.

I was in a classic rock / blues band at the time. I ended up in an experimental punk band with this bass too.

I dropped in a Seymour Duncan Quater Pounder. Great improvement in the tone! Worked wonderfully in a rock context!

Then I bolted on a Leo Quan badass II bridge. Between those two upgrades, my cheapo beginners bass was a reliable gigging workhorse that lasted until I put together my dream bass. :)

4. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I wouldn't mind getting one of the prewired P bass harnesses from Bayou Cables for my two cheap P basses. If you don't like soldering, that may be something to consider. I have not ordered anything from Bayou Cables but a lot of great things have been said about the service and quality Butch provides. For $25 plus shipping, it isn't a bad deal. I'd certainly pay that much to have someone else do the soldering.

As for pickups, I've got the MIA P bass pups in my parts fretless Precision (with the whole MIA P bass harness, including the S1 thing). In my Squier P is followed the masses that went with the Quarter Pounder. It sounds pretty good for some of the stuff I was playing. You'll find a lot of love for the pickup here so it's definitely worth looking into.

Those are the only two P bass pickups I have any personal experience with. I'd like to try some a Dimarzio pickup but I don't think I'll be getting another Precision anytime soon.

5. BSOD

BSOD Guest

I replaced the stanard 500K pots on my Squire VMF with DiMarzio 250K Pro pots. The DiMarzio's were larger enough to stop me from properly remounting the face plate. So, I could have drilled new screw mounting holes, made the cavity larger or get mini-pots. I've done the later, in this case some Gotoh 250K pots.

Craig

6. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    I sheilded the cavity, replaced the pots with cts 250k added an orange drop cap to the tone pot. added an old SD pick up I got from a TBer for $20.

I then added elixir coated strings.

Man what a difference! This cheap POS sounds great! I'm gonna add a badass II bridge and eventually change the nut too.

I play in a rock cover band and I gig with this thing.

7. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    It depends on the DC resistence of the pickup, not just being a matter of "250k, for a warmer tone, 500k for a brighter tone".

My recommendation for an upgrade? Sell it and buy a Fender MIM P-Bass. Then upgrade that with Basslines Quaterpounder Pickups. You wont regret it!
    :bassist:

8. boabski2k

boabski2k Guest

Dec 24, 2008
    Scotland
    kyral,

I have a MIM P Bass Special.

I want to mod my Squier purely for experience. Play with the Pups and Pots on the old one before i play with the new one.