Upgrading the Power Amp section of an EA Doubler

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Grant the Canuk, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Grant the Canuk

Grant the Canuk Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Stratford, PEI. Canada
    I'm looking for some more power for my EA Doubler(mark 1), its currently 350watt at 8 ohm, 550 watt at 4ohm.

I've read that some have installed Ice power modules. I'm wondering who has tried this, what module they tried, and how well it's worked. I'd like to get at least 700 watts out of the amp, ability to go down to 2 ohm would be a bonus.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    So far EA has only increased the power to 625 watts at 4. That would be a good starting point, for whatever modifications were to be done. At one point, Mike Arnopol mentioned he had modified his, of course, if you undertook this project, EA would likeley not be inclined to do any repairs, if the need arose. Just an observation.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  3. Grant the Canuk

Aug 19, 2008
    Stratford, PEI. Canada
    I have read that the doubler mk 2 has an Icepower ICEpower 250ASX2. I'm wondering if a 700asx would be a drop in upgrade. So far this is just a philosophical discussion of course. I'll probably just get a mk2 or a WW or something.

4. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    P.M.ed

5. Grant the Canuk

Aug 19, 2008
    Stratford, PEI. Canada
    I didnt get a PM Ric

6. Mike Arnopol posted around here somewhere about what he did and how. I'll try to find it...

Grant the Canuk likes this.
  8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I'd be interested in doing this, too. I have an iAMP Micro spec'd for 350 watts @ 8ohm and 550 watts @ 4ohms. I suspect the power module is the same as the Doubler? As for the ICE 250axl2 module, can those be purchased by plain old ordinary consumers like me? Do you need more than a soldering iron to make the mod?

I used to have a Puma 900 and it truly had slam at 8 ohms. Had a few ICE1000 amps too but that's overkill for me. I'd be very happy with an ICE 250axl2 module in the Micro -- fronted by my Noble pre!

Grant the Canuk likes this.
  9. Maybe try reaching out to Mike Arnopol. He might be able to hook you up, or let you know where to look...

10. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    I spoke with Mike recently and he offered to upgrade mine if I wanted to so he might be willing to take it on. Ask him. i know he's busy building cabinets (mine among them) but he might.

bassmanbrent likes this.
  11. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Yeah,
    Believe me when I tell you, that Mike’s got quite a few MAS 1/8’s on order. When I purchased mine in January, he told me that he was build them ahead of time, to try and keep up with the demand. I couldn’t be happier with mine, it’s the “one cabinet to rule them all”.
    It kind of puzzles me why Euphonic Audio would build the doubler and not offer it with a higher powered version? I guess they are trying to keep the price reasonable to put the Doubler in
    line with their major competition Acoustic Image. There’s also possibly a heat despersion differental between the power modules. Of course, I’m just spitballin here, could be something else entirely. They did say that the amp was “scaleable” up to 1,000 watts, when they introduced it, indicating that an “Ultra” Doubler was something they might make avaliable somewhere down the line. All that said the revisions in the new Doubler II would be all I’d need power wise for most of my gigs. Especially in a 2.5 pound amp.

Ric

WesW and Stu_Bass like this.
  12. Deltatim

Deltatim

Nov 5, 2016
    Stockton, CA
    Power supply considerations.

13. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    The power supply is in the module. Ea used the 125asx2 . The 250 asx2 is the big brother. If I'm not mistaken they are using the 250asx2 in the new Doubler. The 250 uses all of the same connectors as the 125. You just have to drill different holes for the 250. Easy job, but it would void a warranty. Mine's been like this for 4 years with no problems. The 125 and 250 are the same except power modules and a bigger supply. But it fits perfectly. You can't buy the modules from ICE. I can only buy them in larger lots.OEM only. There are some for sale on Ebay. Same power module as the Puma 900. One thing that EA does---they are not into 10% distortion figures. They don't push the amp too hard. So---their amps won't go quite as loud as some other amps based on the 250 ASX2 module. But they'll be cleaner.

Ric Vice likes this.
  14. Grant the Canuk

Aug 19, 2008
    Stratford, PEI. Canada
    Thanks for the info Mike, I'm not seeing any 250asx2 modules on ebay. I see several 125asx or 50asx and some cable kits for 250asx2. I sent the US sales manager for Icepower an email a few days ago and he has not replied. I'm probably just going to buy the Doubler mk2. Iether that or switch to powered cabinets and get the wayne jones 2 channel preamp. I was thinking that I was onto a 3rd option here with an upgraded power module but it seems to be a dead end.

Ric Vice likes this.
  15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I went with a MAS 1/8 and the Grace Felix. It’s expensive, but worth saving your pennies for. Their will be a few MAS 1/8’s starting to appear in the TB
    classifieds, one already made it there. There have been a couple of Grace Felix’s as well. It may be a while before any Doubler MK II’s show up. The new Doubler’s are nice and they have real DI now, with the extra headroom this amp has been seriously upgraded.

Ric

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  16. Grant the Canuk

Aug 19, 2008
    Stratford, PEI. Canada
    I found a source for these power amps. Unfortunately I became impatient and put down the $900 to buy a Doubler 2 a couple of weeks ago and have my original doubler up for sale. I'm not sure if its worth it to put the $350 down to upgrade an amp that's on its way out.

Heres the source for single and low volume units http://www.profusionplc.com/parts/icepower250asx2#

17. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I never had a gen I to compare it to but I love my doubler II. With the NL 112 up on a stand I get a great (and loud) tone for my upright and electric. I hardly touch my p bass anymore but it's nice to know that if I wanted to, it sounds great through the amp

18. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Grant,
    I think you made the right decision, the Doubler II has a lot more power. :thumbsup:

P.S. plus you have warranty coverage to boot. All my dealings with EA have
    been exceptional, there great folks to work with.