Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading to mid range...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artistanbul, Oct 3, 2003.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Yeah I'm thinking about buying a mid/highmid range bass now. The result of my own brain clash is Stingray versus Spector Rebop where stingray is slightly ahead. That said, I will ask for some advices such as another bass that will make me hurt myself thinking over AND where to buy them. I am planning to buy them used. Basscentral seems great for used stingray but I may need somewhere else if I decide for a ReBop.

Uhh.. It's pretty complicated but this is nothing compared to previous weeks... Help?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Of the two, I'd go with a Stingray....

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I vote stingray too, but do yourself a favor and look at the lakland 55-02. you can pick up one of those used for about the same price as a used stingray, maybe less.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I second what Tubass said. I'd buy a 5502 ahead of either a Ray or a Rebop.

5. first off. do you want a 4-string or a 5-string. and what kind of music do you play, are you looking for one or two real solid tones or a bigger variety of tones. do you want thumpy, growly, piano-like, ect..

out of the ones you mentioned I would go with the Stingray.

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I think this is a subjective question and you have to supply as with more information than that. Stingrays and Spectors are two different beasts. If you could supply use with more information like the kind of music you play, the kinds of tonal characteristics you like, etc we could help you out better.

If I had to choose between a Stingray, Rebop and the Lakland, I'd pick the Lakland.

7. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Well.. What I want is a bass with a distinctive, out of the crowd sound, mostly deep and piano like. Mm.. Let's put it that way, I want something that can play smooth jazz and funk. (I guess I'll need a player first for that :/)More tones would be great as well.. But something that would make them great is the thing. I've heard that G&Ls are tone heaven. But, maybe later... when I can cope with it (and when I can try one.. sigh!)

The thing is, all these things are blind date to some degree. I can hardly test a stingray here and there are no spectors nor laklands around either. Yeah a real turn off for me.

Strings, 4 strings are enough. And a fiver with good spacing is very welcome. I WILL buy one sooner or later.

Thanks for concerns.

.. Oh the GAS!..

8. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Money IS a concern by the way. 1000 is the walking to work limit for me. But hey! who can withstand the urge?..

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I'd have to say a Lakland would be the perfect choice. They are very versatile and the one with maple fretboard has a very nice piano-like tone with accentuated highs and a beefy bottom. I've played a few Stingrays and based on my experience with them and what I've read here Stingrays are aggressive sounding and their tonal options are limited. As far as Spectors go I've only tried the REX model, its a great bass and it delivers a piano-like tone very well but I'm not sure about the Rebops. I'm sure someone will chip in. Good luck!

10. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Thank you SO much.
    You know buying without playing is really a pain in the back, lets say back.. :)

11. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I understand what you're going through completely as a matter of fact I'm going through it right now. I ordered a Hamer Velocity 5 through the local dealer here, unfortunately they only stock Hamer guitars so I have to order without playing one but I did my homework. I interrogated TB'ers who have played it or know someone who owns it. I also exchanged alot of emails with Frank Rindone their product manager and bombarded him with all sorts of questions regarding the Velocity and he was very friendly and answered all my questions in great depth and even printing out the review that BP did on the Hamer(December '02 issue) and sent that along with a beautiful Hamer catalogue. The bass will only ship out later this year and I can't wait.

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I heard the same thing about G&L's, and then I tried two, I was underimpressed. It was OK, but I go for a stingray sound, and that wasn't it.

If you like a bass with good spacing, and by good you mean wide, you certainly don't want a stingray, it's very cramped

13. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
  14. I was recently searching for a bass for about $1000. The Stingray ($1200) and the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn ($950) were two that were on my final list. I ended up with something entirely different (Rick Turner Renaissance Electroline) but I really liked both the Stingray and the Lakland.

Here is another idea. If you like the Fender basses, look at the Fender Japan basses. They make superb instruments for $600 to $700 including the shipping. Ishibashi Music has a great website with Fender Japan guitars on them. My latest Telecaster was bought through Ishibashi Music, the cost was $500 and the quality is equal to Fender Custom Shop quality. There is a fellow named Nick Fanis in Greece who posts on the Telecaster Discussion Page Reissued. He has bought several guitars from Ishibashi and he says that the delivery time is one week. He also loves the Fender Japan instruments. Ishibashi has an English website and they have a couple people in their international orders department who speak very good English. So if you would like an excellent Fender Jazz or Precision, you might try them. Do not buy the bottom of the line instruments though. Go for the top of the line, they are the best and very inexpensive. Here is the Ishibashi website address

http://www.ishibashi-music.com/fenderjp/

By the way, I met a wonderful woman from Turkey who was teaching at the University where my wife is in graduate school. She returned to Ankara in August, but we are going to visit her family next summer. Good luck.

15. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I'm with you, the CIJ Fenders(ones with the American-made p/u) are certainly on par with the custom shop Fenders. A friend of mine has 2 stratocasters and a '70 PBass Reissue which he bought from Ishibashi and he told me that they were wonderful to deal with. No hassles or complications. If I'm not mistaken, there have been alot of threads praising MIJ Fenders and Ishibashi in particular. I remember some guy(here) asking one of the staff at Ishibashi to pick a particular bass for him that isn't heavy(along with some other preferences) and when he received it, he couldn't be more happy with the bass.

If you decide to get a Fender go for the CIJ ones from Ishibashi.

16. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Get something used man... An American Deluxe Fender Jazz sounds pretty nice... A used Warwick... I wouldn't go for the Stingray, but they are machines.

17. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Phogchris, I checked your and egotistical's threads. If I end up on the rebop It probably will be from one of you.

About the Fenders, I know that I don't want a Fender.

I am currently cramping over the Lakland 55-02. I keep getting very positive comments about it. And they look beautiful as well. Oh well..

Ah one more thing. Does anyone know an online store with used basses and actual photos except the basscentral?

18. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    http://www.bassnw.com/contents.htm

I'm not sure if there are any Lakland photos up on the site at this current moment but there are alot of photos here.

Thats the only link that I know of other than ebay.com and basscentral.com

19. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    If you want a bass with good midrange, funky/ punchy/ growling tones with piano clearity and sub 1000 price why don't you buy a yamaha trb(4 or 5). You can try one at metropol müzik(ben de istanbulluyum =)
    I know that yamaha sounds crappy but the trbs are real killers and they have incredible midranges. They've got their downsides(35" scale is harder to play, too heavy...) but i think its a perfect match for you and you wouldn't have to buy a second hand bass overseas...

20. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Maybe you meant to say "I think"

Yamaha's the epitome of quality(for price).