1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

upper octave bass pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Apiazza388, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Apiazza388

Apiazza388

Dec 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Seems to me like a lot of bass octave pedals just give you the lower octave. I borrowed my friends digitech whammy for a few months and it sounded great because I had the option to either use an octave below or an octave above. anybody know of any octave pedals that give you an upper octave?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are several, both analog and digital. The analog ones use distortion to create the octave up. Among digital ones, the EHX Micro POG gets a lot of love here, so search on "pog".

3. The pog is cool and the Boss PS-6 has a whammy like pitch shift function that goes 4 octaves up if you want I think(I don't know for sure I don't use that setting). There are a lot of analog (distortion style) octave up pedals. The octave on distortion pedals sounds a lot different than a digital one. Also digital pedals will produce an octave sound up and down the fretboard where an analog octave up will usually only sound like an octave up from around the twelfth fret up and sound kind of phaserish and synthy everywhere else. The Brassmaster is an analog octave up: Malekko Heavy Industry «» B:ASSMASTER So is the Super fuzz: Super Fuzz - Black Cat Pedals And there's a buttload of others many are based on or are clones of the 2 above both of which are actually clones as well. Black Cat also makes a Brassmaster pedal. I've never tried there stuff but the Black Cat pedals look interesting to me.

4. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Here is what I use for my upper octave (OCT +1) needs...

Digital:
    EHX POG2: awesome little polyphonic box that can do +1 and even +2 with a nice LPF
    Boss PS-3: can do +1, clean and every semi-tone between -1 and +1!

Analog:
    EHX BMS: has a dirty +1 that just sounds amazing (with START and STOP the same you have a VERY versatile tone control as well)

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Eventide Pitchfactor. Pricey, but I feel you get what you pay for, at least in this case. Can do polyphonic octave up, down, and most intervals between.

6. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Less pricy than the pitchfactor, and still affordable is the Akai Unibass.

Add an octave up, +1 with 5th above or 4th below, and distortion. You can run all that through your amp, or send only the octave up to another output.

It is a rhythm guitarist in a box.

7. Exar OC-04

8. POG or micro POG will get you what you need.
    OR....if you like to have fun there's always the Digitech Whammy pedal

9. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Sounds like you liked the whammy.

10. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Not based on what they've been selling for used the last few years...

11. thanks guys, i have a solo bass gig in cape may nj and i really want a clean bass sound 1 octave up. i use the boss rc-3 to loop my bass line live and i want to use something to get me into guitar range. so far everything has too much distortion or other silly stuff in the sound. all your suggestions are surely welcomed. TC