1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

upright bass review/help me please

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by coryjames, May 6, 2010.

1. coryjames

coryjames

May 6, 2010
    is crystalcello upright basses anygood? what about merano gianetti upright basses? 4/4? help me please

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    These are CCBs (cheap chinese basses, crappy chinese basses, etc). Look up "CCB" in the search function and you'll have plenty to read.

3. Hi.

Where do You live coryjames?

In Europe, the CCB's enjoy a bit better reputation than in US it seems.

It might have something to do with the availability of used entry level instruments on either side of the pond. It can also have quite a lot to do with the company that's importing the said CCB's, not everyone are satisfied with the same profit margin ;). And not everyone does a decent se-up for the instruments they sell (regardless if it's a DB or BG or a guitar).

My personal experience with CCB's have been good. Granted, it's mainly from the carved ones, but for the money they're great. Especially for rockabilly.
    A few friends of mine have ply CCB's that are inspected and set-up professionally, and the price/quality is really hard to beat.

Nothing, exept for weedwackers vs. guts vs. steels perhaps, seem to divide rockabilly players worse than CCB's vs., well, everything really ;).

Regards
    Sam

4. Hi,
    I use Cremona basses(ccb) and the only problem ive had is a buzz when I played an "A"(Easy fix with action/intonation adjustment). They seem to be pretty sturdy in the neck region, I'm still scared though noticed some cracking between body and neck joint. If you go cheap you might as well go really cheap and buy a back-up.
    -Josh G.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Even better is to buy a quality instrument to begin with. It's actually more cost effective. The minimum for a new, decent, plywood instrument delivered with a good setup is about $1200. You'll spend that one way or another. If you go the CCB route, you'll spend at least that or more after repairs and "fixes" and end up with a CCB!

See "Doc's Laws." :)

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    During Harley Davidson's dark days people said, 'buy two. You'll need the spare parts'.:D

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    The neck is falling out but at least it hasn't broken?:confused:

Seriously. Saving enough money for a good, healthy bass is a much better option than buying one of these things.

Now a Cheddar Cheese Block is something I could use.:bag:

8. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada