1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright Bass Sound in a Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bobby Bass, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Been wondering. Is there a pedal that reproduces the sound of an upright? There seems to be a pedal for just about everything.

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Nope.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Not even close.

bassfran likes this.
  4. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    upright simulation pedal?

and this video at 33 seconds:

This video shows some good info on upright bass emulation by altering tone and technique, and of course, flat wound strings:

design likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you think that pedal sounds like an upright, you should spend some time listening to an upright.

6. Depends what tones you're hunting, but mostly nope.
    If you want upright bow or slap (upright slap style) tones, then no, you won't be able to nail it, but you might get close.

Playing with fingers, on a fretless (very big part of the sound), with something like a Pog2 or Hog2, I can get close enough to my finger-style amplified upright bass tone (running Fishman piezo pickups on the bridge with Fishman Pre & HPF), but then to play devils' advocate, an upright is a lot more fun. Playing with a bow is challenging (for me) but I enjoy the aggressive tones it can achieve

jimfist likes this.
  7. If you want the sound of an upright on the cheap, get a u-bass.

2nd option, a SRH500:

iRDZRxF27PPArUcLr6Jiyh-480-80.jpg

MrLenny1, design, bmac314 and 9 others like this.
  8. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thankfully, this thread and the answer to the OP's question doesn't hinge on what you or I think is acceptable upright bass tone emulation. Just throwing ideas out there in an effort to guide the OP with more knowledge, that's all. ;-)

design, wncBass, Bob_Ross and 2 others like this.
  9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    No pedal required; just slightly adjust your tuning pegs so every note you play is slightly out of tune. Taa daa!

Zbysek, lermgalieu, 9Thumbs and 6 others like this.
  10. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Just one string so it seem like there are hits and misses.

I'd try flatwound fretless into Malekko Sneak Attack w/ slight attack ramp but note quick cut off into a very dark reverb (not much highendreflectivity, keep it warm) to simulate the resonance of acc bass body. Then, I don't believe this will satisfy so I'd look for something other than simulated acc bass. Bowed bass I can do using EH Superego, a little grit and maybe phasor in it's loop, with Attack Decay

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    cavemanbass likes this.
  11. Eh, there's something that will kinda get that sound. Keyboards kinda have a patch that tries to do it. It may be close enough for what you want, but its not going to be very convincing if an upright is crucial (jazz, bluegrass, swing, etc).

12. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I've never tried this on bass so I don't know what the results would be like, but I've tried the BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator on electric guitar, and if you kinda squint your ears you can sorta convince yourself that it sounds more like a flattop acoustic than it used to.

I know, damning with faint praise...

ac_3_top_main.jpg

nbsipics likes this.
  13. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Opinions and everything. I play jazz on a weekly basis, in groups with an upright, an electric fretted and fretless bass. I took a good listen, and that clip did not sound like an upright to me at all. What can I say?

InhumanResource and jimfist like this.
  14. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's fine, and I respect your opinion. But again, this is really up to the OP and his wants/needs and perception of an upright simulation. All we can do is present options, then he decides where to go from there, or ask more questions. Maybe he could weigh in again since his OP.

It's not that I necessarily disagree with you in a purist sense, but ultimately, it's not up to us what will fly in this scenario, right?

15. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    It may or may not be an acceptable upright sound depending on the gig. In a mix, it might be fine.

Zbysek and jimfist like this.
  16. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Fretless with a Nordy mute would be passable in a band situation.

17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Muted rounds with the tone knob backed off gets me close enough for rock style upright but if you need it for something airy like jazz and tonal details matter... It would probably be much more effective to use an electric tone that sounds good with the mix.

Or buy an upright.

pbass2 likes this.
  18. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    OP asked a question, and for our opinions, so I think offering opinions is called does, not just throwing out a myriad of options. I could tell him to play while hanging upside down and holding his breath. That would be an option as well.

19. I knew a guy who would show up at jazz jams with a cheap Rogue acoustic fretless hollowbody bass guitar that had a piezo pickup on the bridge, that was the only bass guitar I've heard that tricked me for a few moments listening from the next room into thinking it was an upright. Not sure what strings he was using, flats or maybe even nylon or something?

Brother Goose likes this.
  20. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    He was probably hanging upside down holding his breath.