UPS finally got me!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jawzzz, Aug 12, 2004.

1. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I ordered an Eden 410 XLT cab from AMS and it arrived today in rough condition. I was not surprised to see that the top of the box was crushed. The bottom had a hole in it and was retaped at some point. I opened it, and there are two 2" long dents in the bottom where the hole in the box was. The front has a tear in the carpet about 1/4". The top port by the corner is cracked.

I want to give AMS props. I called them Imediately, and within 2 minutes, they had another cab ready to ship out to me. It will get here by Tuesday. Then all I have to do is put the pre-paid shipping label on, and send the damaged cab back to them. No questions, just great friendly service.

I only hope that the numb-nuts at UPS don't do the same thing again. I guess that I am lucky though. It took 10 different cabs for them to finally bust one. :eyebrow:
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You're right it's a game of odds, unfortunately. They will drop something sooner or later. I've had a couple of damaged boxes from them but no damaged goods as of yet, but with UPS it's only a matter of time.
  3. UPS has got me for the last 5 years. Consider your self lucky. Props to AMS for sending you a new cab right away.
  4. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    One more reason to buy new, eh?
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    They got me for the first time yesterday -- 2 pots completely severed from the circuit board. One package out of several years of shipping isn't too bad of a rate.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've been fortunate that they've never gotten me (YET), but my friend was home when they delivered a tube amp for him, and the guy took it from the truck to the front door by flipping it end-over-end on the ground with his foot. Obviously, he yelled at the guy, who could have cared less.

Its not UPS, its not FEDEX, its the idiots in our society that we can't get away with no matter how hard we try.
  7. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Youre right,it is wrong to blame UPS. No matter where you go, ther is always some idiot that screws things up. Unforntunately with shipping companys, they shine like a star, and everyone can see the result of their ignorance.

As for buying new, well I have always preferred to do so, and this is one of the reasons why.
  8. My dad runs a business out of the home and UPS ships here almost daily and we know some of the drivers on a first name basis, and I don't think we've ever had a messed up package in a decade.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They almost got me when I got my Midas Venice 240. The box had a couple gashes in it, and there was hydraulic fluid over about a quarter of the package. Luckily, it was shipped in two nested boxes and was not damaged.

With respect to AMS, they are a first-rate company, based on my personal experience and that of my partner. They bend over backwards to satisfy their customers.
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Here's my thinking on this, because I've had the same experience. We know our driver well and I can't remember the last time anything got busted. Hence, I think that a good portion of the damage that accrues to shipped goods must happen at the very end, when the driver unloads the item and brings it to your door. Not ALL, but a good portion--and especially with huge items that need to be pulled off the truck single-handedly, like a packed 410XLT cab.

As a consequence, I have tried to establish a good rapport with our guy and give him a drink if it's hot and a small Xmas tip. I think of it as insurance. Next time he's pulling an 8x10 out of the back of the truck and is struggling not to get crushed, he'll look at house, remember me, and not just let it drop.

I dunno, just my 0.02.
  11. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Not blame UPS? Acutally, you should, and shouldn't. At UPS. We're expected to unload packages at a rate of 1200 per hour. Thats a package every three seconds. Now they tell us not to lift packages over 70 lbs, but when we're unloading trucks by ourself, what other option is there? Unless we want the supervisor getting onto us, our only option is to lift it by ourself, then take it off at the end and place it on the irreg belt. The trucks this would have been shipped in isn't the funnest truck to have to unload. It takes a good hour with two people just to get a single hubload done, and we have to pull off many packages that are busted or opened. Know why they're busted or opened? Becasue the shipper did not package them properly. They thought one strip of tape would be enough. They thought that that old, busted popcorn box would be sufficient to ship a snow globe. In these cases, we shouldn't be the ones blamed. If you're shipping a package, you know whats its going to go through. It will be thrown alittle onto the extendo. It will be hit when a diverter is moving it. It will be sandwiched when sent down the load chute. You should know what its going to take to get it there safely.

But there are cases in which we do our job sloppily. The extendos do not always follow all the way into the truck, sometimes leaving 10-15 feet or packages left. Alot of time, our only choice to keep up good timing is to tumble the wall, or toss it on the belt. Its a tough job. If you'd like to blame us for ignorance or stupidity, then why not try this job for yourself.

12. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    My wife unloaded UPS trucks for a year and a half. I have heard many of the complaints of the job. Even with the time frame she had to work with, she still managed not to destroy any boxes. They tell you not to lift anything over 70 lbs, then don't. It is company policy, and you won't get fired for asking for help. I am pretty sure that UPS would rather have you spend the time getting help rather than have a Workers Comp claim or an insurance claim from one of thier customers.

As for packing, Yes it only had the foam corner protectors, but it is also clearly marked FRAGILE. This means it is to be handle carefully so it does not break. :p (not trying to insult you xcental) I think that most employees are rushed, and they let their inflated ego supervisors scare them in to not adhereing to the company policies. Remember, if you follow the rules, they can't fire you.

I had a driver a few years ago, and I was always home when she delivered. I never tipped her, but I would personally go in the truck and help her carry the heavy cabs I had ordered. She was very thankful, and so was I. I always try to help the drivers and be friendly so that we are both happy.
  13. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    But you gotta realise it's alot more complicated than that. There's alot of grey area between "the can't fire you" and "a happy workplace you enjoy going to in the morning."

Even then, there are performance measures that you have to meet. And when an MBA is looking at a spreadsheet they don't care that many of your packages were 70lbs+, they just care that you're below par.
  14. Up to now i never had a problem with UPS (thank goodness) and i do have a new bass here on the way at this very moment through UPS. And i always wondered...
    What exactly is the correct procedure if you notice the box is damaged? I heard you were supposed to open it in front of the driver to check the damages? Is this true?

Maybe i shouldnt be looking in this thread :D