1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upton Bass is Just a Scam

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Oscar Yanez, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Yanez

Oscar Yanez

Oct 11, 2018
    I ordered their Workshop Bow with a case and quiver. It arrived at my house an I was so excited to open it up. I got my hands to the bow and went to my teacher to evaluate it. He said the following.

1. The bow is $60-$100 (I bought it for $300).
    2. The bow is just a cheap Chinese bow with an awful rehair.
    3. To continue on the hair, the hair is really uneven.

Buyers Beware.

2. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    Well, $300 is also extremely cheap for a bow. FYI, I pay about $150 for my rehairs. Buying a bow or a bass without trying it first is never a good idea.

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    $300 is for the bow, quiver, and case.....but anyway, Upton aren't scammers in the least bit in my experience. I would suggest that if you are not happy with something that they sold you, then contact them directly. They usually go out of their way to make the customer happy.

dhm and WillieB like this.
  4. Kickdrum

Kickdrum

Jul 17, 2011
    Yeah, Upton has good people there that will help you if you’re unhappy. I understand that you’re mad but you just want to be careful in staying calm about it and give them a chance to fix it instead of possibly hurting their company because of what your teacher said. I’m sure you’re a good dude, no judgement here. Just go straight to the problem first before taking it online. Peace.

DrayMiles, WillieB and bass12 like this.
  5. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    I don't think I've ever seen a wooden bow valued at $60-$100.

...maybe a broken one.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $100 won't even buy a Glasser fiberglass/synthetic hair bow any more. Almost anything with real wood and hair is better than that.

DrayMiles and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  7. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Not my experience. Why don't you give them a chance to make it right to your satisfaction?

WillieB likes this.
  8. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    "Upton Bass is Just a Scam" is probably a bit of an over-reaction. Not the coolest way to voice your justified disappointment.

You're bummed out your bow is not as nice as you thought it would be. Call them and they'll make it right. In the age of the interwebs, they want happy customers.

I think Upton Bass are good people.

Sure, they're running a business and they need to make a profit, but I don't think they're a scam.

In the words of Wayne Shorter:

ahc, WillieB, nbsipics and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mrlen613

Mrlen613 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Clinton,NJ
    I think that bows can be variable. It sounds like you just have the opinion of your teacher. I would take it to a place that specializes in bows if you really want a second opinion.

That being said, I had an issue with my Upton Bass and they worked me me until I was satisfied with the outcome- they helped me try to diagnose the issue and were more than helpful in trying to resolve it (It was a string issue unrelated to the bass).

Call them- they take great pride in their reputation and I'm sure they will work with you to the best of their ability.

Jsn likes this.
  10. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I almost got whiplash, going from "bow is disappointing" to "Upton is a scam". That's not how we roll around here.

Lee Moses and WillieB like this.
  11. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Buyer beware: you are much more likely to get an issue resolved in a satisfactory fashion if you try contacting the seller instead of heading directly to an internet forum and publicly bashing that seller.

dhm, Lee Moses and WillieB like this.
  12. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Oscar,

Where are you located? How old are you? Have you priced bows locally?

I would suggest your question your teachers qualifications as well.

Good luck, let cooler heads prevail.

13. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have no personal ties to Upton, but they've been around and part of our community for years and you joined today to post this. It sounds like this might be your first bow, so no offense, but I think you need to take a step back and slow your roll a bit. If you aren't happy with your purchase, contact them and let them know.

mjt0229, dhm, Treyzer and 3 others like this.
  14. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Played one of their hybrids. Wasn't very impressed. It was a bass, sounded ok, felt ok. The money they command for these things didn't seem to equate the quality of the bass I played.
    For measure, I played a carved Juzek a few years before trying the Upton.
    Wowza!
    That Juzek haunts me to this day.

15. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Could be a single bad apple they sold. It happens to the best of companies. Definitely call them to let them know what you're experiencing and I'll bet they try to make it right. They seem like good dudes (having no experience with them personally, but their reputation is pretty good 'round here).

Jsn and WillieB like this.
  16. I have had two of their basses (a standard and a hybrid) for close to ten years, and Upton is no scam. I've been to their shop several times (my pic to the left was taken at their old shop) and they're nice guys who make nice basses. If the prices seem high - I can tell you they re-sold one of my first Uptons for me and got back what I paid for it. It sounds like the bow you got is low-end (that's not much $ for a bow), and in my experience low-end bows, whatever the source, aren't very satisfactory. But, like others said, take it up with them.

WillieB likes this.
  17. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Ask your teacher to get you a better bow for $60. See how that goes.

Jsn likes this.
  18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    There has been a request to delete the thread. We don't delete threads here unless they go far off the rails, but I am happy to lock it. It looks as though the response of the forum is pretty much unanimous.

Jsn and Max George like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.