1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upton Bass Revolution Solo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TinRoof, Apr 15, 2010.

1. TinRoof

TinRoof

Apr 4, 2010
    Norfolk, VA
    anyone that has experience with this pick up, i was wondering how well it performs at higher volumes in regard to feedback issues? Currently I am using the K&K RB pickup system and could really care less about having the neck pickup. Also, if you have any other suggestions i'd greatly appreciate it. I play in a country-type, bluegrass-kinda, outlaw country band.
    thanx

2. Welcome aboard, Tinroof!

If you search this forum with the "revolution" keyword, and just in the thread titles, you'll find 22 threads about it! (including yours)

Also please note there is the original Revolution Solo, and the newer Revolution Solo II.

Best of luck!
    François

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Never had a feedback issue with the RS2.

4. LeslieD

LeslieD

Jul 25, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    For my bluegrass group, I use a Realist on a plywood bass, and also have the original Rev. Solo on a hybrid bass (both German factory basses). I like the sound of the Realist better, but have had fewer feedback issues w/ the Rev. Solo. I'm still very happy w/ both.

5. I've had an RS2 on my Shen for a few years now, and it's a great pickup. It can work without a preamp in a pinch, but is much better with one (as with about all pickups). After you wiggle it around a little & find its sweet spot, you're set.

6. DrBassie

DrBassie

Apr 24, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    No feedback for me. I use it on both of my basses. It's a good pick up.

7. TinRoof

TinRoof

Apr 4, 2010
    Norfolk, VA
    Thanks for all the replys. Sorry about noy searching for a thread for this pickup...my fault. Right now i use the K&K Bass max and i like it for what i play, just didn't know if the Revolution would be a better choice.

8. I had a Bass Max before the RSII, and I definitely like the RSII more, and by a good deal. I think it's got a more well-balanced sound, but it's probably mostly personal taste with these things.

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    IMO, the Rev Solo is a far, far better and much more refined pickup that the BassMax. Then again, IMO, almost anything is. I've always found the BassMax to be mid-range heavy and to end up making any bass I've had it on sound like a big BG. Different players prefer different pickups among the finer ones usually discussed here (e.g., Realist, Full-Circle, etc.) but the BassMax isn't even in that league, AFAIC.

10. When you say the RSII has a more balanced sound, can you define "balanced"?
    Are you talking about volume between the strings?
    I ask because I get better balance across my strings with the BassMax mounted on the treble side of the bridge.

11. Ever since I got my two channel Ultrasound DI Max pre.... I have been going crazy experimenting with different pickup and mic combinations.
    I had some time on my hands this morning so I thought I would try mixing the Rev Solo (treble side, logo up..... but on its own it sounds better with the logo down) with my BassMax in the bass side bridge wing. No feedback problems.
    I had read here about possible problems mixing two piezo's.
    But after I messed around with my pre-amp controls for about 20 minutes I came up with a full warm sound that still had some string detail. No mud and better than either pickup on it's own. I was pleasantly surprised.
    I think I will try this combination when I play later this month and see how it works through the PA in a live setting.
    I hope it works OK because it will keep my set-up routine simple.

12. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    To me, simple is one cable straight into the amp with very minimal EQ. I'm not smart enough or patient enough to deal all the gyrations some guys go through to get their sound. :meh:

13. clink:
    Heck...I make it even more simple. No amp. Direct to the PA. Everything goes in the bass bag.:D

14. I have two Uptons (standard and hybrid) with the RS2. Great pickup. I have had some feedback issues with the standard/RS2. However, in each case I was running through the FOH out of the DI and I think the particular venue (I know it well) creates the feedback issue. Bottom line, you have to keep your eye/ear on it, but I don't consider the RS2 the feedback problem. It comes from how you run through the FOH and how the monitors are pointed.