1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upton flatback hybrid?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dr. Jake, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Dr. Jake

Dr. Jake

Jul 1, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Upton's YouTube channel is nothing less than a savage and insidious attempt at spreading ever more lethal forms of GAS amongst the DB community. I encourage other manufacturers to follow suit.

In any case, this beast sounds wonderful on my computer speakers () but doesn't appear on Upton's website. A hybrid flatback - aimed at Shen's SB190 and Christopher's 401, I assume? Anyone spotted one in the wild?

2. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Yes I've seen it and played it at their shop.....I think it was number 1 or 2, the other going to Gage, I think.
    Lovely instrument. Well made. Sounded great!
    But my chops are so weak that I cannot render a more informed review.

3. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Much more to come on YouTube! These flatback hybrids are somewhat limited build for us. Late last year Sam Finlay of David Gage mentioned he would like a hybrid flatback to sell, so thanks to him it's a new model! So no aim at Shen etc. Going to make a flatback ply for fun soon.

The bass on the video is in NYC and now owned by one of John Patitucci students. Gage has one caged up waiting to be set free...

Oh and THANKS!