1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Urgent Help Needed

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by spectorlover72, Apr 24, 2009.

1. I find myself in desperate need of help, and the members of this fine forum may be able to help me out (at least I hope so).

I have recently decided to pick the bass back up after a very long layoff, one so long that I sold all my equipment. I turned to GC and eBay to get new gear. The problem is that somewhere along the line, I have come down with a horrible case of the dreaded G.A.S.

In the last month, I have purchased 5 basses, sets of strings, and a practice amp. I continually prowl the depths of evilBay, constantly looking for my next fix. I've been in front of my computer on evilBay so much that I've installed a seatbelt on my chair for safety. I've been in my local GC so much that they know me pretty much by name. I'm on a slippery slope to destruction and need help! (One a positive note, I've been able to pay for everything outright so I have no debt).

Is there some sort of G.A.S. Anonymous group? If there is no intervention, I am destined to a life wandering aimlessly and hopelessly in the bowels of evilBay, and prowling the aisles of gear in GC like a stalker. :help:

Fellow Talkbass members, save one of your own!!!

2. You know, you'll have to get another amp, too.
    Just a practice amp will, eventually, not be enough.
    Oops. That's not, helping is it?

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Welcome! I highly recommend you pay your $20 for a TalkBass supporting membership. Then you will have full access to buy, sell and trade from fellow members in the buy, sell and trade forum. Much less chance of getting junk here than eBay. Nicer people to deal with, too. And then you can be like the rest of us - kind of a constant flow of gear in and out, and the sales of stuff you've grown tired of will partially offset your purchases of stuff you've decided you need!

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    trading will definitely help with the GAS without putting you in a significant monetary hole (although lots of basses sure look nice all lined up and pretty)

What have you gotten so far? We'd sure like to see some pics of your new collection

5. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    You don't need help... You need more money.

6. aquamentus

aquamentus

Apr 15, 2005
    Keokuk, IA
    Yeah, I'd like to thank all of you for giving me horrible GAS.

7. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Now you need an old tube amp.... a B15? SVT?

8. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Great wisdom has been spoken here.

9. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

...must...resist...must...resist...

10. Not to be rude, but none of you have been ANY help. The general feeling I get is that this addict needs to handle his problem by going DEEPER into his addiction. Brilliant.

By the way, what's the wattage on the B15?

11. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    i'm afraid we ALL have that same addiction and don't particularly have the drive to FIGHT said addiction.

my rig is constantly changing. i think all of ours are...
    while i sit here, i'm waiting anxiously for my new pedalboard to get delivered.
    tomorrow i'm picking up a new bass (making four in my collection, though one will be taken apart soon.)

yes... it's expensive, but... sometimes i just can't fight the need for new gear.
    it seems to supersede just about everything else i'm supposed to be spending money on.

[spunj13]

12. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    We don't want to stop you, but we DO want to see pics of all those basses (that's why we don't want you to stop)

13. Thor

14. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    " So I went into this crack house and asked Hey fellas, So how do I quit???"

Just saying :D

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    First step - admitting you have the problem.

16. Thor

'We are men but we can change ...'

[​IMG]
    RedGreenComp1.
    517ZD3EGDNL._SL500_AA280_.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You will reach a state of equilibrium shortly after you get a decent gigging head and cab. At that point, you probably will buy some and sell some - but the total $$ impact may not be that bad.

My point of 'steady state" is around 10 basses, four cabs and three heads.

Also strongly agree with Scottbass that you pop for a supporting membership so you can access all features of TB and use the classifieds.

18. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    ...ah...when you get the urge to buy bass #6, click over to the amp section & get a bigger amp instead.

19. HogieWan, here's what I got:

Attached Files:

20. Sorry, here's the stuff:

attachment.