US$ 31,000 Bass (is this for real?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by westland, Jul 15, 2005.

1. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    The advert in eBay says Alembic Series II Bass Guitar
    "The Roman Conqueror" up for auction... here's the link

... ummm ... can someone enlighten me as to why this should be a $31,000 bass (or even an $11,100 one if I am to believe the reserve)???? :confused:

Oh ... and I forgot to mention that it already has received 33 bids (starting at $9.99)

I checked the seller's other items for sale. Clearly a discerning collector ... his lot included such finds as: (1) a Corning Casserole set; (2) a copy of Sleisenger& Fordtran's Gastrointestinal & Liver Disease; and (tah dah!) a RARE Star Wars Jabba's RANCOR Store Display Model
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Alembic's go for stupid prices at times...

BTW you should go on their custom webpage thing and see what you can build ;)
  3. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Actually that price is about our brethern in Australia pay for Fender Squire's. No big deal. :D

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

5. i have seen a US 50,000$ conklin 11 string. *** :confused:
  6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    [​IMG] :bassist:

Attached Files:

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I guess the roman numeral fretboard inlays didn't catch only my eye. Those look really stunning. :) Definitely a unique inlay.
  8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    and it's educational- help you remember your early super bowls :D
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    $31,000 will buy you a mediocre concert violin. You'd get a top-of-the-line (if Alembic's your thing) bass for that price. Where's the confusion?
  10. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    its $US31000 'cause someone like entwistle can afford to and will buy it. In all honesty, if I were rich, then i would buy it, or any other bass like it. If I were flea, with an internationally famous band, making millions a year, i would buy 10 of these because it wouldn't matter financially. :rolleyes:

Its like asking why is a lamborghini murcielago worth $AUD600,000. Its because its a lamborghini. Plain and simple.

Please people, lets not forget that Stanley Clarke changed the way bass was played using and alembic!!! :)

No confusion here...
  11. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005

According to Ken Smith and some other DB guys, $31,000 will get you a "decent" bow!

12. is that coco bolo even quilted?
  13. flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    I think I'll stick to bass. :rolleyes:
  14. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

All the Alembics that I ever played had good to fabulous electronics and necks that felt like tree trunks.
    It is doubtful if I would give it house room even if I could afford it.
  15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Talking about house room, I only owe about 31,000 on my condo! :eek:

Let's see, pay off condo or buy a bass... :confused: I'm so confused...
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Quite true. LOL. Makes you wonder the quality of bow I'm using. Cost me a mere $147.
  17. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    When I started playing violin I used to break a bow every month... :eek:
  18. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    That'll getcha about 30 Rickenbackers or MIA Fenders.

That Alembic's a fine piece of work... but I'll take 15 Ricks and 15 Fenders for that price. ;)

Or 10 or 12 Sadowskys. :eyebrow:
  19. way to many knobs I would be so confused, after about 5 things just get lost :meh: