Use compression with dirt slap tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unemploid, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Do you need compression for slap and is compression necessary if your slapping with OD or distortion?

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I don’t slap much anymore but a compressor was always pretty essential to my slap tone

Zbysek likes this.
  3. Basscasey

Basscasey

Apr 17, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Yes

/thread

Unemploid likes this.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Depends.

Compression isn't necessary for slap. Plenty of bassists don't use it for slap, but plenty do. It's your choice, there's no right or wrong.

Note: distortion inherently adds compression: the greater the distortion, the greater the compression. Could well be that distortion alone is enough for you. If not, then sure, a compressor can help.

Also, a compressor can do things that distortion alone can't: you can tailor factors such as attack (which affects the transient, AKA leading edge of the note), release (sustain, trailing edge of the note), and more.

Compression is the trickiest effect to use: steep learning curve; can be counter-intuitive. If you're not familiar with compression, this link can help get you up to speed: Compressor and Audio Gear FAQ

Love this video - demonstrates how compression can be used to enhance a heavily distorted signal:

David Jayne and Unemploid like this.
  5. Compression before or after dirt?

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

You're going to hate me, but: depends. :D

Here's an important factor to consider: how you want your distortion to behave. If you want a consistent level of distortion regardless of how hard you play, then put compression before dirt. If you want dynamic distortion -- that is, less dirt when you play softly, more when you play hard -- then put compression after dirt.

Edit: that's a general rule of thumb. Results can vary depending on what comp and dirt you have, and how you dial it in.

David Jayne and Unemploid like this.
  7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Compressor is very helpful for slap.

8. That guy is just sick. What a sound! Not for me but wow!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    No.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022