1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Use PJB Big Head as preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Oct 27, 2018.

1. I have been playing solely EB in my current main band (the band I play DB in is usually unamplified or direct into FOH). However, considering changing that. I play EB into a Mesa D800. Thinking of trying using my Big Head into the D800’s aux in? Anyone else try this? I won’t have access to my amp until Monday, which is why I don’t just go do it.

2. I guess that's a no

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What I've always been able to do is take the preamp signal from the (in this case) PJB, and go into the effects return on the Mesa, going straight to the power amp. This should let you use the Mesa as a power amp only. I don't know if the Mesa has an effects return, but that's how I've always done it.

4. I can use it through the aux-in (and bypass the amp front end). I am just wondering if anyone has done it with DB, and if it sounds good (really, with any amp in that manner).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  5. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    I've used my bass buddy and my d-200 as preamps and really liked it! but I am an ebg player, no experience with db.

lermgalieu likes this.
  6. Good to know - I am definitely planning on using it for some recording in lieu of my usual recording interface because it sounds so good, so if it's good enough for that...