Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Gear... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thermal, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Thermal

Thermal

Jun 28, 2005
    I'm in the process of buying "new" equipment. I'm looking to spend approx. $1500, more if I find that I "need" to. I have only bought 1 used amp in my time as a bass player and that was looong ago. I'm looking to buy a 4X10 and a new head.

Have any of you purchased used gear without major problems? I'm just thinking new for the warranty. Used is less expensive though.

Opinions? Thoughts?

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I much prefer used "high end" gear from reputable companies who have a good customer service record over new mediocre stuff any-day. There are plenty of great shops on the web that provide limited warranty's, enough to get the stuff fired up and check for bugs. Even some on the bay will provide you with this. I've had great luck buying used and pro-gear is just that. The other think I think you'd be surprised at is how many pro gear companies will even "stand behind" their used stuff. Because reputation is important to them. Eden, Aguilar, Sadowsky, and Pedula come to mind, as examples I've had personal experience with.

3. Alot of them have warranties that can be passed about

All my amps have been second hand, you may not think of it as "high" end but it was still a good price and ive never had any problems

4. Yup. I got my 76 SVT for 300 bucks, and my 610HLF for under 600, not a bad rig for 900 bucks, eh?

I always say if the gear has no stories, buying used is doing yourself a big favor. All the "trial period worries" are done for you.

5. bloody hell, nice!

the best one ive heard is someone getting a 70's SVT for $100, because one of the pre tubes went completelly and hence it made no sound, the guy took it to a tech, the tech told him all he needed was a new pre tube, so he got a fully functional 70's SVT for about $130 !!!

My peavey firebass700 + 410 cab was £500, altho you can see them for less than £400 now ( i got mine a couple years back )

Recently picked up my SVT II with flight case for £500 aswell, and i thought that was a good deal!

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Used!! Don't waste your money on new gear. It makes no sense to me. Warranty be damned.

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Used gear is a great way to get much more for your dollar!!!!

8. used peavey Mark III 400b and 1810 for a total of $160 not in the most beatiful condition but its whats on the inside that matters to me.

9. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I'd say get your stuff used....Let the other guy pay more for it.
    I've never bought anything new...I got my Ampeg 6x10 for $120 and my Coloseum was $159....

i got a relatively decent amp for less than $300...COOL!!!

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got my multi effects unit and wireless unit used 7 months ago and have had no problems. Matter of fact, the effects unit had no scratches, came in the original box, with ALL documentation and rubber feet (not even creased)...even the warranty card was intact!......I agree with the others, used is a GREAT way to go, but you need to do your homework!

11. I've bought many pieces of used gear with good results. The For Sale forum here is a great place to start. I bought a used BMAX from Twangchief and I am very happy with the transaction. The Bay has been good to me, you just need to use common sense and research to do well here. There are tons of online dealers who will back up there used products so you can test them.

With all that said I still can't bring myself to buy used speakers. No problem with electronics.

12. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I try to buy any music gear I need used if possible, but with some stuff it's really tough. I have sold off lots of my old equipment on E-Bay for a fair price so that's the first place I look when I'm in the market for something "new"..

13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    My entire rig will be nearly all used:
    Sunn 1200S - used
    Sunn 215 -used
    rack tuner - used

The only things that aren't is my power conditioner and the 2U rack to hold the runer and PC.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My GK head and 115 were new, I bought the 410 used. All are working fine, no problems, and GK really stands behind their used gear.

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've bought both new and used amps, but used is my preference for obvious reasons. About the only thing you can't get used is gear that's only been on the market a few months though sometimes you can get lucky...I bought one of my Bergantino cabs used within the first year they were on the market.

I have successfully used transferrable warranties on both Crate and Genz-Benz gear. Although I have heard stories about problems after Fender bought SWR, they used to provide killer support...I once got some free parts from them for a used amp.

16. Basically my entire rig was bought used, and I haven't had any problems with any piece of gear. I highly recommend it for amps especially as you can get way more bang for your buck.

Rack case - used
    Rack tuner - used
    Compressor - new but cheap (Behringer)
    Preamp - used
    Poweramp - used
    4x10 - used
    1x15 used

My basses, however, are all new. I think it's just a more personal purchase and I like to be able to go into a store and play them for a while to get a feel for things instead of buying online. That said, my next bass will probably be a Fender P, and I'd have no problem buying that online due to their record preceding them.

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    My current rig was about $500 after I replaced the speakers with top quality Webers:

[​IMG]
    (not including the Fender, which I had to give back) :bawl:

Sunn Sceptre-200 bucks
    Univox 2x15-$80
    Weber Ceramic Chicago 15-$115
    Weber Ceramic Thames 15-$120

Of course, it's gonna get alot more expensive when I replace the Univox with a pair of 2x12s -- Most likely Schroeder 1212s, but maybe Avatars if cash is tight. :meh: