Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using a 210 on its own.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin John, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Good evening, folks :D .

Does anyone do this? Obviously it's not the 'big rig' so beloved by some players but I wondered whether this setup does have a place.

A few people make 210s and I wondered about buying one as my only speaker box. My health means I can't lift / carry / pull / push speaker bins about anymore, and I thought it might be good for a small instrumental combo / acoustic vocal line up. I wondered about such matters as sound projection from such a small box that's bound to be close to the floor.

My thread isn't about which manufacturer, although recommendations welcome.

I've looked over some of the threads on 210s but I wonder if there's any wisdom on this issue?

Thanks.

John

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've seen it done but I think the rest of your band would need to cooperate volume wise. One of my rigs is two 210 cabs stacked together and sometimes it's not enough with my loud band. You can find used SWR 210 cabs real cheap these days and they only weigh 51 pounds each. If your into 15's check out the Bag End 15's. 47 pounds each. One will get you through a gig. Two will get you through a loud gig setting.

3. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    I think this is the lightest 2x10 you can get:
    markabss

I just bought it because it´s got very good reviews here at talkbass and some other german forums.
    It sounds awesome for shure and i will use it for medium clubgigs this weekend as a standalone cab.
    Will write down my impressions monday.

4. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm gigging only with EBS 210, and it's manageable if you have enough power (I use one channel of Mackie M1400 - cca 500W@4Ohm) and you don't play large venues without PA support, and I use prectically every trick I know for boosting bass freqs (cab is always on the floor and, if possible, near a wall or in a corner)
    I play in very loud 6 piece band with concrete breaking hands drummer (lets say he doesn't need PA support in concerts up to 300 preople).
    Maybe you should check two 112 cabs, they are bit more weight but in two smaller packages, and they move bit more air.
    I would switch to 2x 112 if i could afford it :crying:

5. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi John, I'm in the same boat as you healthwise, and have changed to lightweight equipment. I've got two 210 cabs that I use together for loud stuff, but just one of them gets pretty loud too. Actually I've only done one gig with both and it wasn't necessary to bring two. But my new favorite cab is a Euphonic Audio Wizzy. It weighs 29# and sounds awesome. Together with a Mesa WalkAbout head this is a killin' combo that only weighs a total of 42#. It gets loud too, you can keep up with a drummer with no problem.

Sorry to rave but I just got back from a jam with my mates and they were astounded at the sound coming from a rig that's not much bigger than a lunch box.

Alan

6. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    You should try the new EBS neo cabs, sounds good, light weight

7. I bridged 600 watts into a Warwick 2x10" the preamp was a warwick Quadruplet. Neither the pre or the power stage where cranked up to the max (around 75%) and it gave enough volumen for two death/thrash bands with two cranked full tube stacks and loud drummers (I was sharing my rig that night) then it was a small venue and 600 watts

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I played last night at a gig with my GK700RBII feeding an Eden D210XLT (4 ohm).

It was a small room. It did a great job. It's also heavier than my Aguilar GS112 and Bag End S15-CUS. Maybe you should look at a 115 or 112 if you want less weight?

:)

Joe.

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Good thought. Another idead might be multiple 112 cabs, that I know people have been converting to for the tone and portability. Aggies, Bergs, or Avatars would probably fit the bill perfectly for you, and give you a much more respectable low end than a 210.

10. I use a combo thats 210 and 350watts. Def NOT loud enough. I cant wait to get something rediculously huge....

11. Ive used my same hartke 2x10 rig for 4 years (my first amp) and unless your doing a loud outdoor gig, 2x10s have done fine for me. Im sure some of the higher end 2x10s have higher capabilities than my little transporter cab, but it has done me well.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I personally would never gig with just a 2x10. I've used a 2x10 alone at rehearsals and drummerless jams only.

13. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

FWIW, I've used my Kern/Stewart 1.2 driving an Eden D210XLT with the 8-piece horn band I used to play with. Plenty loud and easily filled the room without PA, even though I was using some FOH support. Those guys were LOUD, especially the key player who I stood next to.

YMMV, of course, but it worked fine for me. Now, I'm using (2) 1x12 Avatar cabs for lighter weight.

dcr

14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    something's gotta give--you need to decide what's most important:

1. Volume
    2. Price
    3. Weight

If you want small cabs that offer good tone at a light weight, you'll need to pay for it. Epifani's UL310 comes to mind. If you want to pay less, you'll carry more and give up a little in the tone department--Avatar 112's are the solid low-budget option.

Before you go any further with this topic, at least accept that these are the "ground rules".

15. I've also tried gigging with an Eden 210 XLT.Mine was powered with a bridged Crown CE1000,about 1000 watts available.I almost never go through the PA so I have to fill most rooms with my stage rig.The 210 XLT is one of the best 210s at this and it still came up a little short at a small bar gig a couple of months ago below E with my 5 string on some heavy blues numbers.With a four string it may do allright most of the time but with my five I won't try it again.I've had much better luck with a pair of Avatar 112s volume-wise and they are much easier to carry in than the 68lb.Eden.My 410 neo weighs the same as my 210 Eden and can get too loud so you may want to look at cabinets with Neo speakers too.

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    500w into Acme Low B2, no problem....

17. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    600w into Acme Low B2, no problem....

I've covered a 250+ person bar with no PA support with the setup above (I brought my other Low B2 and a stereo power amp just in case the single 2x10 didn't cut it), but the acoustics were right and the drums didn't need to be miced. With miced drums at a rock gig I need either the second Low B2 or PA support (99% of my gigs have PA support and I barely need a single 2x10 for stage volume).

18. Hello folks, and thanks for the input.

I don't ever expect to gig with loud bands anymore. If I did I guess I'd have to get a 115 to go with the (possible) 210. 'Fact is, I'm not playing at all at the moment and, in fact, I haven't done for a year or so.

No. I'm looking more towards a jazz thing (though am not a jazz player as such) or acoustic guitar combo, that kind of situation.

I simply can't lift etc anymore so have to have something small / light.

I play a 5, too, so the cab would have to be good for 30Hz. Peavey seem to do quite a nice 210, but I've only seen it on the web and never heard it. I know Harke do a 210, too. I could go for a 115 but folks say the mids aren't really there with such a cab.

As I type, the Schroeder cab advert keeps flashing at me: folks on here seem to speak well of this gear.

Cheers.

John

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I'd stay away from Hartke and Peavey. Since you're in England, my recommendation would be that you check out a pair of Ashdown Mini 15 cabs.

20. OK folks, thanks.

What's the reason for the downer on Harke and Peavey, Dr P?

John