1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using a Flag for a bass screen

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Apr 28, 2010.

1. So I have the GK MB 210 and the grill is a bit rattly at the top of the grill

i think its just how they designed the grill

So I have this flag that I wanna use, thinking maybe I can attack it somehow so that it can act as a bass screen or w.e you call the cloth grills

but I have no Idea how to do this, it is made out of Polyester

I know most of them are made out of tweed or something similar

Im just worried about maybe at practice or a show that the speakers might get damaged

So if anyone has any tips thatd be great, thanks

2. stretch it over the existing frame or build a clone of the old frame.......it won't be accousticly transparent ,but i doubt if you would hear any difference

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Your speakers will be fine. Grills are usually attached with screws. Unscrew the grill, wrap the fabric around the sides, and screw it back down. You'll need to screw through the fabric, so a nylon washer or similar would be good for keeping the fabric from fraying/tearing around the screw hole.

Another thing people do sometimes is use spray adhesive. Remove the grill from the cab, lay it on a tarp or some newspapers, and spray the surface with the adhesive. Then lay the fabric on top, quickly smoothing out any wrinkles or baggy areas.

4. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    I would suggest the spray adhesive idea as well. It would be tough to get off the grill later, but it would keep the flag from causing any extra noise. I didn't like the look of the grill on my last cab and decided to put grill cloth over it. I secured it on the back edges of the grill. It looked great, but the grill cloth flapped back and forth really fast with the motion of my speaker, making a blown/farty speaker noise as it slapped against the metal grill. At first I didn't understand this, so I thought perhaps I had blown the speaker at some point. However, after removing the grill cloth, the speakers sounded just fine.

5. i hear it's the secret to nailing Tim Commerford's tone from RATM

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    If your current grill rattles then find our where and see if you can't fix it. These kinds of things usually have fairly simple solutions (e.g. turn a screw or similar).

Even if you attach the flag, which if done well could look really nice, you may still have the rattle.

Hmm . . . I might just have to try this with a band logo.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What flag? A big "no" to the stars 'n stripes, a "maybe" to the stars 'n bars as it would go over big in some of the venues we frequent.

Can I get a big Yeee-Haaaa?!?

Riis

8. or maybe a brace thru the center of the grill frame

9. ..............the Iraqi flag? :bag:

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Riis has a pretty good point.

Personally, I think this would be a good way to go:

surrender_the_booty_pirate_flag.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd use this one:

[​IMG]

12. yea i might tey to cut out the area that would fit on the grill and then spray some adhesive...spray on it

hopefully it wont flutter too much

then again, i now have no idea how to screw it back on.....

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think you'd want to use adhesive or the flag will puff in and out from air movement while playing. A lightweight poly flag might not make much difference, but it will have some minor effect by restricting the movement of the speaker cone(s).