1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

using a jazz bass for punk rock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Derryl Jennifer of Bad Brains plays a jazz bass. I consider BBs to be one of the best punk bands ever if not THE best punk band ever. However, I don’t know any other punk bassists who use a jazz. I must be missing a few. Who else plays punk on a jazz bass and is the Precision better for punk? It is a two parter. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    k.graz, Skybone, StayLow and 4 others like this.
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee Outta my way! I'm caffeinated! Supporting Member

I don't know why you can't play whatever you want on whatever bass you want. Maybe he used a Jazz because somebody found one in a dumpster. That's the proper punk reason for just about anything.

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If there is a best bass for punk, then the punk thing to do would be to not use it.

BadExample, amper, DaDo625 and 71 others like this.
  4. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    What about Klaus?
    a69ce32f12eaac1daa74e33fef0a4d65--bass-dead.

5. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Not a true punk band per se, but indisputably influenced by the genre.

rs-180853-88427959.

6. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

^ !!!!!

:roflmao:

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've heard that Matt Freeman used one every now and then.

...And Out Come the Wolves sounds more J than P to me.

8. Solo'd neck pickup on a Jazz is a pretty good punk tone. Buy one of those old Peavey Mk III amps and the accompanying 2 ohm 215 cab, and you will have a pretty stellar punk rig.

Punk is a bit about who will blink first, though I find some of the punk ethos contradictory and confusing. I think that as long as you totally own the gig/situation/tone/whatever then you can use whatever bass you like.

9. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
    I recall reading in Bass Player Matt Freeman interview that he used a Jazz for touring, but I can't recall if it was Rancid or when he was playing with Social Distortion. I'm not into punk, but he's a great player, waaaay more chops then your average punkster.
    MJ

10. Norman Watt-Roy of the Blockheads is famous for using a sand colored 60s Jazz

Skybone, blindrabbit, design and 5 others like this.
  11. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    This is the best answer. Honestly, any bass will work fine. I have played punk gigs with every conceivable bass configuration short of a Hofner, and I bet that would have worked fine, too.

Eikari, RaggaDruida, wmmj and 2 others like this.
  12. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    spaz21387, 10cc, wmmj and 5 others like this.
  13. Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    MobileHolmes and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    The Punk Rock thing to do is play whatever you like.

15. Zane DeBord

Zane DeBord Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    I think it's weird when people choose a bass for a genre, and doubly so when it comes to punk.

The best bass for punk is the one you wanna kick the most ass with while playing!

ppiluk, rufus.K, Sixgunn and 6 others like this.
  16. I play Skater Punk on a Dingwall Combustion 5. Use whatever you want :bassist:

Sixgunn, Duder, wmmj and 7 others like this.
  17. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    If you count the Jesus Lizard as punk**, then David Wm. Sims did - great tone. And it was a cheap copy, so extra punk cred.

**kind of, but arguably something more original.

Jazz basses played with a pick can sound very bright and aggressive, perfect for punky sounds. The sharp, "spanky" attack cuts right through guitars.

wmmj, mrb327 and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  18. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
    Klaus Flouride! Nuff said...

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The only punk ethos I’m aware of is:

1. Don’t try lead. Don’t try to follow. Don’t walk alongside. Go your own way. Do your own thing.

2. Hands on is everything. Don’t try - just do!

20. Epopour122

Epopour122

Nov 6, 2017
    Cincinnati
    As long as you're better than sid vicious who cares what bass you have! Play a jazz, play a P, just make sure its raw.