1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

using a line mixer for acoustic bassguitar

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ric3xrt, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ric3xrt

ric3xrt

May 19, 2010
    SE PA
    Not sure if this is going to work so I thought I'd get some ideas from you guys Here
    Two of the bands I'm in have few Orgnial songs that I have to play an Acoustic bass on but I use three Different basses, ones a Double neck(5 on top 4 fretless on Bottom) #2 is a short scale tuned (higher) D.G.B.E.#3 tuned D,A,E,B My question is could I use a rackmounted line mixer and then out to the Pa mixer..do you think I shoulkd try something else?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Do all your basses have preamps built in? If not, what sort of pickups do they have?

3. Hi.

Generally the answer is no.

The instrument level (not that there's a standard), is usually inadequate to drive a line-level requiring equipment. You'll get some sound though, but most likely the fidelity is lost.

The questions Passinwind asked, would help to better determine whether it's possible or not in Your specific case though.

I'd try a mic pre instead.

Regards
    Sam

4. ric3xrt

ric3xrt

May 19, 2010
    SE PA
    All three have piezo pick ups, one has Artec ATE-CH system in it, the other two are your typical 4-Band EQ on board Pre-Amps.
    My idea is to find a way to give the sound guy one cord/cable from my acoustics , I'm already takeing up 2 channels with my bass rig, don't want to take five in all.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Typically, built-in instrument preamps will put out an instrument-level signal, which is stronger than a microphone but much less than line-level.

You'd do much better finding a device designed specifically to do the job you need. Radial makes several boxes that will switch among instruments.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Many mini-mixers will do what you want pretty well then. To be safe, I'd just be sure to get one with enough "mic" preamps that work on the line inputs for your needs.

I used a Mackie 1202VLZ for many years for stuff like that. The Radial Tonebone boxes, etc., may work a little better in some cases (especially if impedance matching is an issue), but personally I always liked having a small format mixer kicking around, and that's probably how I'd roll. Also, the Tonebone models I've seen only have two inputs, I think.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, most active-EQ instruments (especially acoustics) will work just fine straight into a little mixing board.