1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using an Avalon U5 Live.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acoop, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    I used one about two weeks ago on a recording session with my upright and 64-P-bass and was so blown away I bought the company. ... No I didn't, I bought one U5 and I'm still blown away. ... Curious if anyone out there is gigging with theirs. ... I'm more into notch filtering than bass, treble, mid controls and really like that this unit delivers. ... I do mostly jazz and blues gigs using 1 or 2 Agui 12" with a 350-head. ... Who's using theirs live and with what?

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    I don't have one but I did see Tal Wilkenfeld live with one sitting on top of a double stak EBS rig. Only one I've ever seen live. Don't know if they're robust enough to hold up to the road and all the handling.

3. I don't use mine exclusively live, but I find it makes it difficult for a mediocre sound tech to screw up your tone, so it only comes out on shows where I haven't worked with the sound company before. Otherwise, I find the DI out on my Genz-Benz quite capable. As far as durability, it is a solid build, but mine travels in a Pelican case for protection.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    I'd say go for it. They do something awesome in the way of sweetening up your groove!

5. Geddy used one (two actually one was a backup) for years. The U5 was his clean direct signal and his Sansamps and Palmer cabinet sims were used for his drive sounds. All three signals were then blended together.
    Amos Williams from TesseracT uses one. In fact he says its really the main part of his sound...

I've always wondered if the U5 contains a tube? All of Geddys equipment listings always said a Avalon U5 tube DI but I've checked the Avalon site and couldn't find anything tube related?
    Good luck on your tone quest!
    Best wishes,
    Brent

6. StephenR

StephenR

May 21, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I have been using a U5 as my main DI for a number of years now. Have also used it as a standalone preamp but don't engage any of the built-in tone curves. Great sounding box that ensures FOH always has a strong, clean signal to work with. I carry mine in an SKB iSeries waterproof case. The only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is an on/off switch. There is no tube in a U5 but it has a nice warm sound.

bass-rig.jpg

mrwood4 and BrentSimons like this.
  7. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Last night I was doing some reheasing for an up coming recording project and used the U5 into an old Polytone 100 watt, single 15" I had as a practice amp for years. The amp is really an powered extension cab and super clean, no pre. Well the U5 and Polytone loved each other and the producer/artist said he wanted to record it just the way it is. ... It is a large bit of gear but it came with the foam cut out and my small gigging suitcase holds her quite well for now. ... I think I'll journey down this road a bit further and see were it leads.

8. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012

9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    There are rack ears available for the U5 and it fits perfectly into 2U. Also, U5 and 2U are potentially palindromes depending on how you write, so...

LeonD likes this.
  10. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Is there enough output with the U5 to drive a power amp or powered speaker?

11. StephenR

StephenR

May 21, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Definitely no problem driving a power amp or powered speaker. There are three outputs on the U5. Instrument level through the 1/4" jack on the front to patch into a preamp/combo amp, plus two XLR outs on the rear, one sends a mic level signal the other line level. More than enough gain, too, 30 dBs available if needed.

LeonD likes this.
  12. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Any dive I play doesn't deserve the sound of a U5.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I've used the U5 for DI & preamp duties a few times in the past and know a handful of guys around here who do (there's a certain 'scene' here regionally and within that specific group that it's a hip setup with a power amp).

It's a great sounding unit, but for my uses I'm looking for a bit more adjustability.